Friday, February 10, 2023

A Mystery Animal

 

Midge and Booker-T were walking along the sidewalk on their way to Jake's house when Gabby flew down and landed on the sidewalk in front of them.

Hey guy!” said Gabby. “What are you two doing?”

Hi Gabby,” said Midge.

We are on our way to Jake's house,” said Booker-T. “What are you doing?”

I was just flying around and looking around,” said Gabby. “I went to the little zoo building to see what kind of animals are there today.”

Do they have some neat animals there today?” asked Midge.

There is a little animal there and I don't know what it is,” said Gabby.

Do they have a sign that says what it is?” asked Midge.

Yes, but I can't read it,” said Gabby. “Jake can read it.”

What does it look like?” asked Booker-T.

It is brown,” said Gabby. “It's front legs are shorter than the back legs.”

Is it a kangaroo?” asked Midge.

No,” said Gabby. “It is small. You guys should go see it.”

Okay,” said Booker-T. “We will tell Jake about it.”

Are you coming with us?” asked Midge.

Sure,” smiled Gabby. “I want to know what the little animal is.”

Lets go,” said Midge as she and Booker-T started walking along the sidewalk.

Jake and Lucy came walking along the sidewalk from the other direction. “Hey guys,” said Lucy. “Where are you going?”

Hey Lucy,” smiled Midge. “We are on our way to Jake's house.”

Now, I'm here,” laughed Jake. “What do you want to do today?”

Gabby told us about a new animal at the little zoo building,” said Midge. “Do you want to go see it?”

Hi Jake,” said Gabby. “It is a different kind of animal. I never saw one before.”

Is there one in the big zoo across town?” asked Jake.

No,” said Gabby shaking his head. “I never saw one at the big zoo. You have to come and see it.”

Do you want to go see the animal?” asked Midge.

Sure,” said Jake. “Lets go see the animal.”

The four friends started walking to the zoo with Gabby flying above them. They crossed the street near the small zoo train station and entered the parking lot of the zoo transfer building. They went to the open door and stood in the doorway looking around.

Come on guys, lets go inside and see the mystery animal,” said Jake.

What does the sign say?” asked Midge looking at the animal as it stood on it's hind legs staring at them. “Isn't it cute.”

It says it is a Quokka,” read Jake.

What is a Quokka?” asked Lucy. “That's a funny name.”

It says that they live on some island and people said they look like giant rats,” read Jake.

Well, I think it looks a little like a rat,” said Booker-T staring at the little animal in the cage. “What is your name little animal?”

Are you talking to me?” asked the animal as it looked like it was clapping it's little hands.

Yes,” said Booker-T. “I already know these guys names. Do you have a name?”

My mom gave me one,” said the little animal. “Do you want to know what it is?”

I asked you,” said Booker-T. “So I think I do.”

My name is KoKo,” said the little animal. “Can you come in here and play with me?”

The humans locked the door of the cage,” said Midge.

Why?” asked KoKo.

I think they want to keep you in there,” said Lucy.

And they don't want anyone going in the cage,” said Booker-T.

I want to play,” said KoKo. “Please come inside.”

Sorry, KoKo,” said Midge. “We can't open the door.”

We can talk to you with you inside and we outside,” said Jake.

But that is no fun,” said KoKo. “I want to hug you.”

You hug?” asked Booker-T.

Oh yes,” said KoKo. “I hug my friends all the time. Do you hug your friends?”

No,” said Midge shaking her head. “Our human owners pat us on the heads and they hug us sometimes.”

Humans think we are funny,” smiled KoKo. “They like to take our picture all the time.”

Our owners like to take pictures of us too,” said Lucy.

What do you eat?” asked Midge.

I like grass and leaves,” said KoKo. “Do you like leaves? I will share my leaves with you.”

We don't eat leaves,” said Midge. “We eat different things.”

Suddenly the small door at the back of the cage opened and a human quickly tossed

something over the top of KoKo.

Help me guys!” called KoKo. “What are they doing?”

I think they are going to take you to the big zoo across town,” said Jake. “They will take good care of you.”

You will have many humans come to see you there,” said Lucy.

Will I have friends?” asked KoKo.

I don't know,” said Midge. “You will be taken care of there and you will be safe.”

Good-bye, KoKo,” said Booker-T.

Good-bye guys,” smiled KoKo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T