Friday, February 17, 2023

The Tiny Bird

As Midge, Jake, Lucy and Booker-T started to walk out of the building after they took KoKo out of his cage for the trip to the big zoo across town, when Booker-T saw a tiny bird in a cage in the corner.

Wow,” said Booker-T. “Look at that tiny bird in that cage.”

Is it a baby bird?” asked Midge.

Maybe,” said Lucy. “Lets go see the cute little bird.”

They walked to the cage where the little bird was walking around the bottom of the cage.

He's really small,” said Midge.

Is it a baby bird?” asked Booker-T. “What does the sign say, Jake?”

Jake read the sign attached to the cage. “Button quail” read Jake.

What is a button quail?” asked Midge.

It says it is a tiny quail,” said Jake. “It can't sit on a tree branch like Gabby can.”

Why?” asked Lucy.

It says on the paper here that they don't have a back toe so they can't hold onto the branch,” read Jake.

Midge stood staring at the little bird. “Hello little bird,” smiled Midge.

The little bird ran and hid behind a couple of big rocks that were in the cage.

Hello little bird,” said Booker-T. “You don't have to hide from us. We won't hurt you.”

Little bird!” said Lucy. “Can you talk?”

The little bird peaked around the rocks at the four animals standing at it's cage. “What are you doing here?” asked the little bird.

We came to see the animals who are here,” said Jake.

Why?” asked the little bird.

We like to visit the animals,” said Midge.

Why are you out there?” asked the little bird as it slowly walked around the rock.

Can I come out there with you?” asked the little bird.

We can't open the cage door,” said Booker-T.

But I want to come out there with you,” sighed the little bird.

Do you have a name?” asked Midge. “I'm Midge and these are my friends, Jake, Booker-T and Lucy.”

My momma gave me a name too,” said the little bird. “She called me Peaches.”

Peaches is a cute name,” smiled Lucy. “I like that name.”

Why are you guys not in a cage like me?” asked Peaches.

We aren't wild animals,” said Midge.

I'm not a wild animal,” said Peaches. “I'm just a little bird and I don't hurt anyone.”

I think they just have you in the cage to protect you,” said Jake. “Looks like they are going to send you to a zoo in a state that is warm where you will have friends to play with.”

Why?” asked Peaches.

The humans will take care of you and feed you,” said Midge.

And many humans will come there to see you,” said Jake.

I miss my friends,” said Peaches.

Where are your friends?” asked Booker-T.

I don't know,” said Peaches. “I was playing with my friends and something hit me on the head.”

Did something fall on you?” asked Midge. “Were you hurt?”

I woke up in a small box on something soft,” said Peaches.

Maybe the human found you hurt in the woods and helped you,” said Lucy. “We live with a human.”

You aren't afraid of them?” asked Peaches.

No,” said Booker-T. “They feed us and take care of us. You will have a human taking care of you at the zoo and they will keep you safe.”

Can you fly, Peaches?” asked Midge.

I can fly a little,” said Peaches.

I want to fly,” said Midge.

You can't fly,” laughed Jake. “You are not a bird.”

What are you?” asked Peaches.

I'm a dog,” said Midge. “Lucy and Jake are dogs and Booker-T is a cat.”

Can cats fly?” asked Peaches.

No,” said Booker-T. “I like my feet on the ground. Midge tried to fly one time and she fell on the ground.”

I like staying on the ground too,” laughed Peaches.

Why?” asked Jake. “Don't you like to fly?”

Sometimes I do, but it's a long way to the ground if you fall,” said Peaches.

You fall from the sky?” asked Lucy.

I was trying to fly and got tired,” said Peaches. “I fell to the ground and it hurt.”

Oh,” said Midge. “I wish I could fly but I don't have wings.”

Can you come in and play with me?” asked Peaches.

No,” said Booker-T. “Your cage is locked.”

That's sad,” said Peaches. “Will you be my friends?”

We will be your friends while you are here,” said Midge.

I think they are moving you in two days,” said Jake.

Can you come and see me when I move?” asked Peaches.

We can't walk that far,” smiled Lucy.

We will come see you before you go,” said Jake.

Okay,” smiled Peaches.

Now we are going to our home and get something to eat and take a nap,” said Midge.

Bye,” said Peaches.

See you later,” said Lucy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T