Saturday, July 27, 2013

Midge Meets Jake's New Neighbor


“Hey Jake!” called Midge as she came through the gate into the front yard. She strolled up the sidewalk to the porch.

“Hi Midge,” greeted Jake. “You are early this morning.”

“I know,” said Midge. “My owner left for work an hour earlier this morning. I think she has meeting at work this morning. I heard her talking to someone from her office on the phone last night.”

“It's always good to see you,” said Jake. “I think Booker-T and Misty are coming soon so we can go to the park to play.”

“Okay,” said Midge.

“Did you see Booker-T and Misty this morning?” asked Jake.

“No,” said Midge. “It was early so they might have been sleeping.”

“Do you want some of my breakfast?” asked Jake. “I will share some with you.”

“Thanks Jake,” said Midge. “I ate some breakfast when my owner was getting ready to leave for her job.”

“Okay Midge,” said Jake. “You know you are welcome to share mine.”

“I know Jake,” said Midge. “You always share with me.”

“Now, you have done the same thing Midge,” said Jake.

Midge smiled and nodded her head.

“Who is that Jake?” said Midge as she turned to see a small black puppy walking up the sidewalk to the front porch. She was wearing a bright pink sweater and had a pink and white bow above her right ear.

“That is Crystal,” said Jake. “She just moved into that big blue and white house across the street.”

“Hi Jake,” said Crystal. “Hope you don't mind I came to visit this morning. Are you busy?”

“Hi Crystal,” said Jake. “This is my friend Midge.”

“Hi Midge,” greeted Crystal. “How are you?”

“Hi Crystal,” said Midge. “I am good this morning. How are you?”

“I am good today too,” said Crystal.

“I like your little sweater,” said Midge. “But isn't it a little too hot to wear it today?”

“Maybe a little,” said Crystal. “But my owner thinks I'm cute in my sweater.”

“You wear them all the time?” asked Jake.

“Yes,” said Crystal. “You don't wear them?”

“Oh no,” said Jake. “I don't like them.”

“I don't like them either,” said Midge. “My owner tried to put a sweater on me once and I tore it when I was running around in the back yard. After that, she stopped putting them on me.”

“Oh,” sighed Crystal. “Do you think if I tear this one, she won't put it on me anymore.”

“You don't like it?” asked Jake.

“Not really,” said Crystal. “But I don't know how to let my owner know I don't like them.”

“You have to create a problem so she will think they are not good idea,” said Midge.

“How do I do that?” asked Crystal.

“Let us think about it,” said Jake. “Maybe Booker-T will have an idea when he gets here.”

“Okay,” said Crystal.

“We are going to the park when Booker-T and Misty get here in a few minutes,” said Jake. “Would you like to come with us?”

“Your owners let you go to the park alone?” asked Crystal.

“Oh sure,” said Midge. “They really don't know we go to the park to play. We wait til they leave for work and then we go play.”

“We try to get back home before they come home from work,” said Jake.

“My owner don't go to a job,” said Crystal.

“She don't work?” asked Midge.

“Yes, she works, but she does her job at the house,” said Crystal.

“Oh,” said Midge. “Maybe if she is busy she won't notice that you are gone.”

“Maybe,” said Crystal.

“Does she check on you when you are outside playing?” asked Jake.

“No,” said Crystal. “I go in and out the doggie door.”

“Okay,” said Midge. “When Booker-T and Misty get here, you go in and check on your owner and then come back that way she sees you and knows you are okay.”

“I will try that,” said Crystal. Are those your friends coming now?”

Jake and Midge turned to see Booker-T and Misty walking through the front gate.

“Yes,” said Jake.

“Hi Booker-T, said Midge. “Hi Misty.”

“Hi,” smiled Misty. “Who is your new friend?”

“This is Crystal,” said Jake. “She lives across the street. Her family just moved in yesterday afternoon.”

“Welcome to the neighborhood Crystal,” said Booker-T.

“Wow,” said Crystal. “You are cats.”

“Yes,” said Booker-T. “That's what we are.”

“You like playing with dogs?” asked Crystal.

“Sure, why not?” said Misty.

“I didn't now that cats would play with dogs,” said Crystal.

“We are all friends,” said Jake. “We have a bluejay as a friend too and a turtle.”

“Oh,” said Crystal. “That is nice, I think. I have only had dog friends before.”

“If you come with us to play, you will play with cats, a bird and a turtle,” said Midge.

“Okay,” said Crystal. “I think that is cool.”

“I like your sweater Crystal,” said Misty. “But isn't it hot?”

“Yes,” said Crystal. “I don't really like it, but my owner thinks it is cute.”

“Do you have any ideas to get her owner to take it off and not use it anymore Booker-T?” asked Midge. “We thought maybe you might have a good idea.”

“Hey you guys!” said Gabby as he swooped to the porch from the tree limb above. “What idea are you looking for?”

“Hi Gabby,” said Jake.

“And who is your little friend in the pink sweater?” asked Gabby.

“Gabby, this is Crystal,” said Jake. “Crystal, this is Gabby.”

“He is your friend too?” asked Crystal.

“Oh yes and he knows everything that goes on in the neighborhood most of the time,” said Midge. “If you want to know anything, just ask Gabby.”

“That's right,” said Gabby. “Gabby at your service miss.”

“Ha ha Gabby,” laughed Booker-T.

“So what idea is Booker-T supposed to have?” asked Gabby.

“Crystal's owner put on the little sweater and she don't like it,” said Jake. “How do we get her owner to take it off and not use them anymore?”

“Oh that's an easy one Crystal,” said Gabby.

“You know what to do?” asked Midge.

“Oh sure,” said Gabby. “What she needs to do is get herself caught on something in the back yard and start barking and barking for her owner to come help her. When she sees that she is caught on something because of the sweater, she won't use it anymore.”

“That sounds like an easy idea to do,” said Jake.

“Is there something in your back yard that you can hook the sweater on and then you can start barking til she comes out?” asked Midge.

“There is some fencing out in the back or a small tree with low branches.. maybe I can get caught in one of them,” said Crystal.

“Come on Crystal,” said Booker-T. “Lets all go to your back yard and check it out. We can help you get caught on it.”

“Okay,” said Crystal. “Thanks. Lets go.”



They all ran to the back yard at Crystal's house .. Come back next week to find out what they do.

Midge and Jake love all their fans. Hope you enjoy reading their stories.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T