Friday, March 14, 2014

Midge in Trouble

The morning sun was coming through the bedroom window and Midge looked up at the clock. It was late and her owner hadn't got up yet for work. Midge nudged her and she rolled over and patted Midge on the head. "Good morning girl," said her owner. "Today I am working here, but I know you are probably hungry."
Midge jumped down from the bed as her owner sat up and grabbed her robe and slippers and went to the shower and dressed in blue jeans and a sweater. She put her warm slippers back on and started down the stairs to the kitchen. "Come on girl," said her owner.

Midge hurried down the stairs and stopped in the living room and jumped into the big chair beside Snappy's tank. "Hi Snappy," said Midge. "Did you sleep good last night?"
"I did," said Snappy. "Is your owner staying home today? The sun is out and she is still in her slippers."
"She said she is working at home today," said Midge.
"Oh,"' said Gabby. "That means Jake and Booker-T can't come over today. Are you going to go to Jake's house?"
"Maybe," said Midge.
"Midge!" called her owner from the kitchen. "Midge, Midge, Midge. What have you been doing when I go to work?"
Midge stood there staring at her as her owner was standing at the pantry door. Gabby hurried to the door to try and listen in.
"Midge, there are teeth marks on this door handle," said her owner. "Did you try to open the pantry door when I was gone?"
Midge just stood there wagging her tail and moving her head from side to side. "Oh my goodness," thought Midge. "Jake got marks on the doorknob. I'm in trouble maybe."
"I don't know why you grabbed the doorknob, but you can hurt yourself girl," said her owner. "I know you don't understand what I am saying, but no no no girl. You don't do that okay girl?"
Midge wagged her tail and jumped up for her owner to pat her on the head. Midge understood what she said.
'Here is your food and fresh water, girl," said her owner as she set them down on her little mat. "I need to run to the store and will be back in about an hour, girl."
Midge ate her breakfast and ran to the living room. Her owner grabbed her car keys and went out the door. "She thinks I was biting on the doorknob," Midge told Gabby.
"I heard her through the door," said Gabby. "You are lucky she wasn't angry with you."
"I know it," said Midge. "I didn't know Jake got marks on the doorknob. It was dark last night so I think she didn't notice them til this morning."
"I'm glad she wasn't angry with you," said Gabby. "You better tell Jake to be careful next time."
"Hey you guys," said Jake as he came running into the room. "I just saw your owner going for the day."
"She will be back soon, Jake," said Midge.
"Midge got into little trouble this morning, Jake," said Snappy.
"What happened Midge?" asked Jake. "Why were you in trouble?"
"You put scratch marks with your teeth on the doorknob to the pantry and she saw them this morning," said Midge. "She didn't get really angry, but she told me not to do that again."
"I'm sorry Midge," said Jake. "I didn't know my teeth were making scratches on it. I won't do that again. I don't want you to be in trouble. Your owner is really nice and I don't want to make her angry at you. Some owners will get rid of a dog if they do things wrong."
"Oh no," said Midge. "I don't want to lose my home. My owner has always been happy with me, I need to be careful what we do in the house."
"I will be careful Midge," said Jake.
"Here she comes," said Midge hearing the car pull in the driveway. "You better hurry and run out the doggie door before she comes in."
"See you later Midge," said Jake as he ran for the kitchen and was going out the doggie door just as the key was turning in the front door lock.. He ran around to the front as she was shutting the door.
Midge jumped into the big chair near the tank and watched as her owner carried two bags of things to the kitchen.
"That was close, Midge," said Gabby. I don't think Jake meant to get you in trouble."
"I don't think he did either, Gabby," said Midge. "I didn't think about his teeth making a mark on the doorknob. We need to not do that again."
"You need to tell Booker-T also," said Snappy.
"I think Booker-T is okay," said Midge. "His mouth is too small to go around the doorknob."
"That's true," laughed Gabby. "I don't think Jake will try that again. I know he don't want to see you in trouble. Jake is a good friend, Midge."
Midge's owner came back to the living room and handed Midge a couple small treats. "Here you go girl."
Midge wagged her tail and took the treats and thought, "All is okay. She still loves me."

Her owner set a couple little turtle treats into the tank for Snappy and a couple into the basket for Gabby. Midge smiled at them and thought, "All is good now."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T