Friday, June 27, 2014

Midge and the Burglar

“Hey Jake!” said Midge as she came running up the sidewalk to the porch. “Jake! Jake!”
“Calm down Midge,” said Jake. “What is the hurry this morning? I'm right here.”
“Jake,” said Midge. “Tomorrow is the day for the dance show at the convention center. Are you still going to help me get in there? I want to be on that show.”
“I heard about it on the TV last night when my owner was watching the show,” said Jake. “It isn't the show that is going to be at the convention center.”
“Yes it is,” said Midge. “I know it is the show.”
“It is the show people but not the actual show,” said Jake.
“Why would the show people be there if it isn't the actual show,” said Midge. “That doesn't make any sense to me.”
“It is the people who run the show,” said Jake. “They are going to be there to find dancers for the show.”
“This is my chance to show them I can dance and be on the show,” smiled Midge. “I know they will like me.”
“They are doing something they call auditions,” said Gabby as he swooped down and landed on the railing of the porch.
“Hey Gabby,” said Jake. “How long were you up there?”
“I was up there when Midge got here,” said Gabby. “I was just at the convention center and saw the sign on the door. They are going to have auditions tomorrow for people to try out and show them how they can dance and try to win a spot on the show.”
“I am sure I can win one of those spots on the show,” said Midge. “But I need to get in there and on that stage.”
“Midge,” said Jake. “They are not going to give you a spot on the show. It is for human dancers.”
“When they see me dance, they will beg me to be on the show,” smiled Midge as she swirled around on the porch.
“I don't think so,” said Gabby. “I agree with Jake. They want humans. We will help you get in there but we don't want you to feel bad when they don't pick you for their show. They might even toss you out the door before you get to the stage.”
“They will have to be fast to catch me,” said Midge.
“I just think you are kidding yourself Midge,” said Jake. “I don't want you to feel bad when they toss you out.”
“Hi everyone,” greeted Booker-T as he climbed the steps to the porch.
“Hi Booker-T,” smiled Midge.
“What are you all taking about?” asked Booker-T. “What are you kidding yourself about Midge?”
“Remember the dance show is going to be at the convention center,” said Midge.
“Oh yes,” said Booker-T. “I was hoping you forgot about that.”
“Why?” asked Midge. “Don't you all have confidence in me?”
“We do,” said Booker-T. “But this is a human function and you sneaking in can only be bad, I think.”
“I will be okay,” said Midge. “I just need you all to help me get in the building. I will take it from there.”
“We told you we would help,” said Jake. “We will try to get you inside, but that is the best we can do Midge.”
“Thanks Jake,” said Midge. “You all are good friends.”
“I guess if we are going to get into trouble, we should all stick together,” said Gabby.
“You can get away a lot easier than we can Gabby,” said Booker-T.
“I won't leave you guys alone,” said Gabby. “I will be close.”
“Any idea how we are going to get Midge in the building?” asked Booker-T.
“It was your big idea to help her,” said Jake. “You don't have an idea?”
“You are smarter than I am Jake,” smiled Booker-T. “And Gabby is pretty smart.”
“It might have to be a quick idea when we get there tomorrow,” said Gabby. “Until we see how they will be set up, we won't really know how to get you in. Maybe you can just walk right in behind someone else going in.”
“I could do that,” said Midge. “When someone opens the door to go in, I'll just run in behind them. I will be inside before they see me.”
“Are you sure you want to do this?” asked Jake.
“Oh yes, Jake,” said Midge. “I really want to dance on the show.”
“Why?” asked Gabby. “Why do you want to dance on the human's show?”
“I watched the show with my owner a couple times and it looks like fun,” said Midge dancing around the porch. “And don't you think I dance good?”
“For a dog,” said Booker-T. “You dance good. But for a human, I don't know.”
“They will think I'm cute,” said Midge. “Humans like animals doing tricks. They will like it when I dance.”
“Okay Midge,” said Jake. “You just be ready and we will do what we can to get you in.”
“Now that we got that settled,” said Gabby. “Can we go to see Snappy? I miss my little friend Midge.”
“Sure,” said Midge. “He will be happy to see everyone.”
“Let's go,” said Jake. “I'm ready to forget this stunt of yours for now. Does Snappy know what you are going to do?”
“No,” said Midge. “I didn't tell him.”
The three hurried down the steps with Gabby flying above and they went to Midge's house. When they got to the house, a black car was sitting in the drivewsay.
“Did your owner get a new car Midge?” asked Jake.
“No,” said Midge. “She still has the same car.”
“Do you recognize the car Midge?” asked Gabby.
“No, said Midge. “I don't remember ever seeing it before.”
“Gabby,” said Booker-T. “Go peek in the window.”
Gabby flew to the house and sat on the windowsill and pressed his little beak against the window. From the back yard, two men came walking around the corner carrying a TV and a large black bag. Midge, Jake and Booker-T were hiding behind a tree.
“Jake,” said Midge. “They are robbing the house.”
“Look,” said Booker-T. “Gabby's after them. Come on, lets go help him.”
Gabby quickly swooped down and pounced on the head of one of the men. The man tried to make Gabby go without dropping the TV. The other man swatted at Gabby but he was too quick and the man could not touch him. Midge, Jake and Booker-T ran quickly to the house and Jake grabbed the leg of the man who was swatting at Gabby. Midge grabbed the other one. Soon the sound of sirens came speeding up the street and screeched to a stop in front of Midge's house. The two men were arrested and tossed into the back seat of the police car while Midge, Jake, Booker-T and Gabby stood back and watched. In a few minutes, Midge saw her owner's car pulling up behind the police car. She talked to the police for a while and then entered the house with a police office leading the way. He carried the items back into the house and walked through the house to be sure no one else was hiding in it.
“We got them, Midge,” smiled Jake.
“We sure did,” said Midge. “The police got there fast.”
“One of our neighbors must have called when they saw the black car in the driveway,” said Booker-T. “They know what your owner drives.”
“I'm happy they did,” said Midge. “But we will have to visit with Snappy later. Come to the house after my owner goes to work in the morning and we can talk to Snappy before we go to the convention center.”

“Okay, Midge,” smiled Gabby. “We will meet you here in the morning.”   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T