Friday, June 6, 2014

Jasper Visits Jake

“Hey Booker-T!” called Midge running up the steps to his house. “Where are you?”
“I'm here,” said Booker-T as he came running around the corner of the house. “I was in the back yard. What are you doing this morning?”
“I was on the way to Jake's house,” said Midge. “Want to come?”
“Sure,” said Booker-T. “How is Snappy this morning?”
“He is good,” said Midge. “He was eating when I left. Our owner cleaned out his tank last night and gave him fresh water. He just loves his new home and all the fresh water and good food he gets now.”
“That's good,” smiled Booker-T. “I was worried he might be lonely for the pond.”

“I think he misses being at the pond sometimes,” said Midge. “But I think he misses all his friends coming to see him there.”
“We can visit him here in his new home,” said Booker-T. “He really never ran and played with us because he goes lot slower than all of us.”
“He asked about Gabby last night,” said Midge. “You and Jake can come in my doggie door but Gabby can't just come in. Someone has to hold the little door for him to walk in.”
“Speaking of Gabby,” said Booker-T. “Have you seen Gabby lately?”
“No,” said Midge. “I don't know where he is lately.”
The two started walking along the sidewalk to Jake's. They rounded the corner and entered the gate to the front yard at his house. As they approached the porch, they saw Jake sitting on the swing next to Jasper.
“Hi Midge, Booker-T,” smiled Jake. “Look who came to see me this morning.”
“Hi there Jasper,” smiled Midge. “How are you doing? Are you lost again?”
“No,” laughed Jasper. “This time I know where I am. I saw Jake sitting on the porch when I went for a walk this morning so I came over to talk to him and thank him for all the help you all did to find my home for me when I was lost.”
“We are happy to do it,” said Booker-T. “It's good to see you.”
“Does your humans know you are out walking around by yourself?” asked Midge.
“They all left for the day,” said Jasper. “My owners and their son left. They work and take the little boy to something called a daycare.”
“I heard about those places,” said Jake. “They take care of little kids who can't take care of themselves when parents have to work.”
“My owner's niece goes to one of those places too,” said Midge. “She loves it there in the daytime. They play games and draw pictures and take naps.”
“I guess they are good places,” said Booker-T. “I have never seen one of those places.”
“They have one next to the school,” said Midge. “Do you remember the pretty house with that looks like an old fashioned school house?”
“Oh yes,” smiled Booker-T. “The cute little blue and white house?”
“That's the one,” said Jake.
“I have seen lot of kids running around in the yard but didn't know it was a daycare,” said Booker-T. “I just felt sorry for that family with so many kids to take care of.”
“That would be too many kids for one family,” laughed Midge. “Oh my goodness.”
“I think that is the little house that my owner's little boy goes to,” said Jasper. “He always comes home with pictures he colored when he was there. He likes to play with the other kids.”
“I guess it is a good place for kids,” said Booker-T.
“Do you want to go play at the park with us Jasper?” asked Jake. “We go play at the pond when it is hot outside. The water always is fun to play in.”
“Oh, I don't know how to swim,” said Jasper.
“You can learn,” said Jake. “We will help you.”
“Okay,” said Jasper. “I would like to go play with you. I don't have any friends here.”
“Well,” smiled Midge. “You have us now and you are welcome to come play with us all the time if you would like.”
“Thank you,” said Jasper. “I would like that.”
“I also told you that I would be happy to help you learn your way around the neighborhood so you don't get lost anymore,” said Booker-T.
“I remember,” said Jasper. “Thank you. I would like that.”
“Hey you guys!” called Gabby from above as he swooped down to the porch railing.
“Hi Gabby,” said Midge. “Booker-T and I were just talking about you this morning. We haven't seen you around lately.”
“I flew out to the country for a few days,” said Gabby. “It is so pretty out there with all the fresh flowers in the fields and was there with some other birds.”
“It's good to see you,” said Booker-T. “Glad you enjoyed the visit to the country.”
“Who is this little one?” asked Gabby.
“This is Jasper,” smiled Midge. “He is our new little friend.”
“Hi there,” said Gabby. “I'm Gabby. The only one who flys.”
“That must be fun,” said Jasper. “I wish I could fly.”
“Oh,” laughed Gabby. “A flying dog. Now that would be really funny.”
“We can't fly,” said Midge. “Gabby is the flyer here. We are happy to have our feet on the ground. I don't know if I want to be up there in the air.”
“I see the birds flying around the back yard all the time,” said Jasper. “They can go anywhere fast and I think they can see lot more things from up there.”
“It is nice up there flying around,” said Gabby. “And I can see a lot from up there. I like coming down and sitting here talking with my friends.”
“Gabby comes to play at the pond with us when we go,” said Jake. “He loves splashing in the pond on a hot day.”
“Do you like to play in the pond, Jasper?” asked Gabby.
“I have never been there yet,” said Jasper. “I don't know how to swim. I have never been in any water before.”
“Not in a bath either?” asked Booker-T.
“No,” said Jasper. “What's a bath?”
“Oh, you are young,” said Jake. “A bath is nice. My owner has a big wash tub she uses in the back yard. I stand in it and she washes me with nice smelling soap and then sprays me with lots of water til all the soap is gone. Then I lay around on the porch to dry off. It does feel so nice to get a bath in the cool water when it is hot outside.”
“You take a bath every day?” asked Jasper.
“Oh no,” said Jake.
“My owner gives me a bath twice a month,” said Midge. “Unless I get really dirty and then she will give me one sooner.”
“Come on, are we going to the pond or not?” asked Jake.
“Yes,” said Midge. “Come on with us Jasper. We are going to play for a while in the park.”
They all agreed that it was time to go play and took off along the sidewalk to the park. Jasper ran hard to keep up with Jake. They headed to the pond to splash around in the cool water.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T