Friday, June 13, 2014

Midge Talks About Music

Midge and Booker-T stroll along the sidewalk to Jake's. “Are you awake Midge?” laughed Booker-T. “You haven't said much this morning and you are always talking.”
“I don't always talk,” said Midge. “Do I?”
“Oh yes,” said Booker-T. “You are like a magpie sometimes, chatter chatter chatter.”
“Ha ha,” said Midge. “You all talk too.”
“I'm kidding you,” laughed Booker-T. “You are always so happy and talking but this morning you haven't said much. Is everything okay Midge?”
“Oh yes,” said Midge. “Everything is great. I just have this song going through my head I heard my owner play last night when her friend came to the house for dinner.”

“What song?” asked Booker-T.
“I don't now the name of it,” said Midge.
“Do you know any of the words?” asked Booker-T.
“I can't get no satisfaction,” said Midge.
“Why can't you get any satisfaction?” asked Booker-T. “You don't remember the words?”
“Those are the words,” laughed Midge.
“Strange words for a song,” said Booker-T. “Wonder why he can't get any satisfaction.”
“I don't know,” said Midge. “That is not all that is strange. The one who sings the song is called Rolling Stones.”
“Singing stones?” asked Booker-T. “I don't think I ever heard a stone sing. I thought only humans sang.”
“Me too,” said Midge. “I guess there are some stones who sing too. We should ask Jake if he ever heard a stone sing.”
They hurried around the corner and through the gate at Jake's. “Hey Jake!” called Midge. “What are you doing?”
“Hi Midge,” called Jake from the front porch swing. “I'm enjoying the sun this morning. What are you two doing this morning?”
“We are coming here to get you to go play at the park,” said Midge.
“And later we want to go see Snappy before Midge's owner gets home,” said Booker-T.
“That's good,” said Jake. “I'd like to see Snappy and visit with him for little time.”
“Hey Jake,” said Booker-T. “Have you ever heard a stone sing a song?”
“Stones don't sing,” laughed Jake. “Why do you think there are stones that sing.”
“Midge heard some singing stones last night,” said Booker-T.
“Did you see them Midge?” asked Jake.
“No, I only heard them when my owner put on a CD for her friend last night,” said Midge.
“And the stones were singing?” asked Jake somewhat puzzled. “What did your owner say when she played the CD?”
“She told her friend that they were the Rolling Stones,” said Midge. “They sang some strange song that said 'I can't get no satisfaction'.”
“Oh my,” laughed Jake. “My owner has that song. She plays it a lot. It is a strange song but the singers are some group she calls the Rolling Stones.”
“Oh,” said Midge. “The humans are called Rolling Stones? That is strange don't you think?”
“I think some of the singing people have some strange names,” said Jake. “They don't use their names, they have funny names they use. I don't know why.”
“Humans are strange sometimes,” said Midge.
“I never heard any strange songs like that one at my house,” said Booker-T.
“Your owner don't play music?” asked Jake.
“She plays strange stuff but don't think she ever had any singing stones,” said Booker-T.
“I think I remember your owner telling mine one time that she likes stuff she calls country,” said Midge.
“What country?” asked Jake.
“I think country is the kind of music it is,” said Midge.
“What kind of music does your owner like, Midge?” asked Booker-T.
“I think she calls it rocking roll,” said Midge.
“Rocking roll?” asked Jake. “I don't think I heard that one.”
“It's called Rock n Roll,” laughed Gabby as he flew down from the tree where he had been sitting and listening to them talk.
“How long have you been up there?” asked Midge.
“Long enough,” said Gabby.
“How do you know about Rock n Roll?” asked Jake.
“I used to stay in the big tree at the house next door to the school and they used to play this stuff called Rock n Roll,” said Gabby.
“How did you know it was called Rock n Roll?” asked Midge.
“Because the man there was always telling the kids to turn off that loud Rock n Roll stuff,” said Gabby. “He didn't like the loud music. I think that is what your owner plays Midge.”
“It's definitely loud but she can turn it down when she plays it,” said Midge. “It is never real loud when she plays.”
“Why are you all taking about the different musics?” asked Gabby.
“Midge came singing some strange song by someone called rolling stones,” said Jake. “She thought there were stones that sang.”
“What were you singing?” asked Gabby.
“The only words I can remember are 'I can't get no satisfaction,'” said Midge. “But I don't know why the singer isn't getting any satisfaction. What does he want satisfaction for?”
“I don't know Midge,” said Gabby. “I guess maybe the singer wasn't happy about something.”
“Maybe,” said Midge.
“Are we going to talk about strange music and weird singers or do you want to go play?” asked Jake.
“I'm ready to go to the park,” said Booker-T. “It is hot out here and a good cool dip in the pond will be nice.”
“Do animals sing?” asked Midge.
“I don't think so,” said Jake. “Who would listen to animals?”
“Other animals like us,” said Midge.
“I've heard birds whistling and dogs howling and cats screeching,” laughed Gabby. “Does that count?”
“I guess that is our satisfaction,” said Midge.
“How's that?” asked Booker-T.
“Satisfaction that we don't have to listen to animals singing strange stuff,” laughed Midge.
“I guess you are right,” said Jake.
“I can sing for you if you want,” said Gabby.
“Oh no!” said Midge. “Forget it. I've heard you sing and I thought the air raid sirens went off.”
“Very funny,” said Gabby. “I think I sing good, don't you Booker-T?”
“Don't get me into this,” said Booker-T.
“Come on,” said Jake. “Lets go to the park and forget this singing stuff.”
“I like that idea too,” said Midge.
They all headed to the park to take a dip in the pond.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T