Saturday, August 16, 2014

The Circus is Coming

 “Hey Jake!” called Midge as she came running up the sidewalk to the front porch. “What are you doing?”
Slow down Midge,” said Jake. “Where is Booker-T? He didn't come with you this morning?”
I forgot him,” sighed Midge. “Oh no. Do you think he will be upset with me?”
No Midge,” said Jake. “But why are you in such a big hurry?”
Hey Midge!” called Booker-T as he strolled up the steps to the porch. “I started to walk over to your house and saw you running up the sidewalk. You forgot me.”
I'm sorry Booker-T,” said Midge. “I was so excited and wasn't thinking this morning.”
Why are you so excited?” asked Jake.

The circus is coming back to town!” said Midge. “Do you want to go again?”
When is it coming?” asked Booker-T. “I didn't hear anything about it.”
I heard them on TV last night,” said Midge. “They will be in town Saturday.”
I guess you want to go again,” said Jake.
Didn't I just ask you if you wanted to go,” said Midge. “I think I remember hearing myself ask you if you wanted to go.”
You want to try it again?” asked Booker-T. “We almost got step on by an elephant the last time we went. I wouldn't look good as a pancake.”
Ha ha Booker-T,” said Midge. “We can stay away from the elephants. I want to see the acts in the big tent. That is fun.”
I like the circus too,” said Jake. “We can go if you really want to.”
I really do Jake,” smiled Midge. “Do you want to go Booker-T?”
I will go with you too,” said Booker-T. “Are they going to set the tents up in the park again?”
I think so,” said Midge. “We can go to the park and watch them put up the circus tents Saturday morning.”
Maybe Misty will like to go with us,” said Booker-T. “I will ask her.”
She will like the circus,” said Midge.
Can she get away from the house on Saturday morning?” asked Jake. “Since she was sick, her owners are really careful letting her out.”
I will ask her,” said Booker-T. “I know she will want to come with us if she can.”
When will Susie be back home?” asked Midge.
I think she is coming next week,” said Booker-T. “I don't know.”
She has been gone a long time,” said Jake. “I hope she is enjoying her time with her old owner.”
I hope she will be home,” said Booker-T. “I miss her. I got used to her being there every day and then suddenly she wasn't there anymore.”
I bet she misses you too Booker-T,” said Midge.
Do you think she does?” asked Booker-T.
Sure she does,” said Jake.
I know someone else who misses both of you,” said Midge.
Who?” asked Jake.
Snappy,” said Midge. “Do you want to go see him before we go to the park?”
Yes,” said Booker-T. “Come on Jake. Lets go see Snappy. We haven't seen him for three days now. He must be pretty lonely.”
He is doing good,” said Midge. “I talk to him every morning and every evening.”
It is good that he lives with you Midge,” said Jake. “Does he still like his new home?”
Lets go and you can ask him,” said Midge as she started down the steps.
Wait up Midge,” laughed Jake. “We are coming.”
The three friends hurried along the sidewalk to Midge's house. They followed her around to the back door. They slipped through the doggie door one at a time with Midge leading the way. They ran to the living room where they jumped into the chair next to the tank that Snappy was in. They found him sitting on a small stone near the water.
Hi Snappy,” called Midge. “Look who came to see you.”
Oh,” smiled Snappy. “Hi Jake and Booker-T. I miss you guys.”
We miss you too Snappy,” smiled Booker-T. “We came to see you.”
I'm so happy you came,” said Snappy. “How are you guys doing? What are you doing today?”
I'm good Snappy,” said Jake sticking his nose over the side of the tank. “Do you still like your new home here?”
Oh yes,” said Snappy. “It is so nice and Midge is always here to talk with me every day.”
I'm happy you like your new home,” said Jake. “Your owner has it set up really nice in there.”
She cleans it out once a week and gives me fresh water to play in and new tree branches to climb on out of the water and gives me really good food.”
Do you miss the pond?” asked Booker-T.
No,” said Snappy.
Not even a little bit?” asked Jake.
I'm happy here in this new home,” said Snappy. “I miss playing with you guys at the pond, but this home is nice.”
We talk all the time,” said Midge. “So he is never alone as much as when he was at the pond. He always was alone at night at the pond.”
That's true,” said Jake. “I'm happy he isn't alone at the pond anymore.”
I would be scared out there at night all by myself,” said Midge.
It's not too bad,” said Booker-T. “I think you get used to it after a while if you don't know anything else.”
You didn't get scared when you were out there all by yourself at night, Booker-T?” asked Midge.
No, not really,” said Booker-T. “But I did get lonely sometimes. I am so happy you helped me find my new home.”
I feel the same way Booker-T,” smiled Snappy. “I'm so happy Midge helped me find my new home. This is nice and in the winter time, will be much better than living at the pond. Nights really got cold out there.”
And the summers get too hot out there,” laughed Jake. “I like your new home Snappy.”
Me too,” said Booker-T.
Thanks,” smiled Snappy. “Hey Midge, Did you ask Jake about the circus?”
I did,” said Midge. “He will go with me and so will Booker-T.”
That's good,” said Snappy. “Wish I could go with you, but I don't walk too fast anyway.”
We will tell you all about it when we go,” smiled Jake.

They all sat and talked and laughed together before Jake and Booker-T said goodbye and left the house a few minutes before Midge's owner drove into the driveway.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T