Friday, August 29, 2014

Fun Time at the Circus

Hey Midge,” said Booker-T, poking her in the head. “Look over there.”
Midge turned to look in the direction where Booker-T was pointing. She saw a woman dressed it bright red pants and jacket prancing into the ring followed by six cute little poodles all dressed in suits and dresses. “Oh wow!” said Midge. “They are so cute.”
Would you wear one of those dresses?” laughed Jake. “I can see you now all dressed in a pretty pink dress with a pink bow above your ear and a jeweled collar.”
Very funny,” smiled Midge. “I think they are cute but that's not for me.”
But you were wanting to dance before,” said Booker-T.

I know, but I don't want to wear the clothes,” said Midge. “I'm a dog, not a human. Dogs don't wear clothes.”
Some do,” said Jake. “Remember that little black chihuahua who used to live next door to me. Her owner was always putting something on her to wear.”
Oh yes,” said Midge. “I remember her. Poor little thing. I don't think she liked all the clothes they put on her. She always looked so unhappy.”
I think she was,” said Jake.
Those little dogs are cute,” said Midge. “They are performers so it's different.”
That's true,” said Booker-T. “What does that box say Jake?”
Hmmm,” said Jake. “It says “Circus Dog Acrobatic Performers” on the trunk.”
They do acrobatic stuff?” asked Booker-T.
I think so,” said Midge. “Lets watch them and see.”
They watched the cute little dogs performing their tricks in the ring. They were jumping through hoops, climbing ladders and chasing frisbees. “They look like they are having so much fun,” said Midge.
Don't think about it Midge,” said Jake. “You don't want to join the circus.”
But don't you think it would be fun?” asked Midge.
You can have fun doing some of those things without joining a circus,” said Booker-T.
I guess you are right,” said Midge. “But they get paid for having fun.”
Their owner gets paid,” said Jake. “The little dogs don't get the money. What would a little dog do with money?”
Spend it at the store,” said Midge.
Oh really?” laughed Jake. “Think about what you just said. How many times have you gone to the store to buy something?”
I can't go to the store to buy anything,” said Midge. “I don't have any money.”
Right,” said Jake. “I don't think they do either. I think all the money they make goes to that woman.”
Here comes the elephants Jake,” smiled Midge all excited. “I love the elephants, but they are so big.”
I know,” said Booker-T. “This is the best place to see the elephants. Under the bleachers where it is safe and we won't accidently get stepped on by them.”
Oh, that would be bad,” said Jake. “I like watching them from here too. Safer place to be.”
Here come the clowns Midge,” smiled Booker-T.
I love the clowns,” said Midge. “They are so funny. Look over there. They have a dog that looks like me.”
I like his hat,” laughed Jake. “Do you want a hat like that?”
No,” said Midge shaking her head. “I don't think I would look good in a hat. But it would be fun playing with all those clowns.”
It is work Midge,” said Jake.
I know,” said Midge. “But it would be fun work. Don't you think so?”
No,” said Jake. “I like my life just as it is. I wouldn't want to go here and go there and no real home to stay in.”
But I don't think they work all the time, do they?” asked Midge.
My owner watched a show about the circus and they work a lot,” said Jake. “When they aren't working out there in the ring, they are working getting ready for their shows.”
I guess they would have to practice what they do,” said Midge. “I guess I like my life as it is too.”
Good,” said Booker-T.
The ringmaster entered the ring and introduced the last act for the afternoon. “Ladies and Gentlemen, direct your attention to the center ring. New to our family is Max and his Golden Palominos,” said the ringmaster. The spotlight shown onto the center ring as Max and his beautiful horses entered the ring to perform.
They are sure pretty,” smiled Midge. “I like them.”
Me too,” said Booker-T. “Horses are really pretty animals.”
Did you know any when you lived on the streets?” asked Jake.
I met one when this little girl used to ride her horse down the alley sometimes,” said Booker-T. “She moved away so I never saw them anymore.”
Well, that was the last act,” said Jake. “Are you ready to go home?”
I am ready,” said Midge.
Me too,” agreed Booker-T.
The three crawled out from under the tent and started to go across the park toward home. “Look at that colorful tent over there,” said Midge. “I don't think I saw that one last year when they were here.”
Maybe it is new,” said Booker-T.
Lets go see what it is,” said Jake. “Then we can hurry home.”
Okay,” agreed Midge as she followed Jake to the tent.
They peeked inside and the lighting was dim and candles on some tables with flowers and lot of sparkly things hanging around the tent. A small round table stood in the center of the tent with a bright red table cloth on it and a big clear ball sitting on a gold stand was in the center of the table. Two chairs were at the table. From the back of the tent, they saw a woman dressed in very colorful clothes. A bright red bandana on her head that matched her colorful skirt.
Wow,” said Midge. “Is she a witch or something?”
No,” laughed Jake. “Witches don't look like that. She's a gypsy.”
What does she do in here?” asked Booker-T. “This is a very colorful place but little dark.”
The sign over there on the wall says she is a fortune teller,” said Jake.
A fortune teller?” asked Midge.
What does she do?” asked Booker-T.
Well,” said Jake. “I guess she can tell you what your fortune is.”
My fortune is broke,” laughed Booker-T. “I don't have a dime.”
Me too,” said Midge. “I don't have a dime either. I guess we all don't have a fortune. She wouldn't see one for us.”
Lets go home,” said Jake. “I'm ready for a nice nap.”
The three ran across the park to Jake's house. They each curled up on the big porch and went to sleep after agreeing it was a good day at the circus.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T