Friday, September 5, 2014

Gabby Was Trapped

Midge was skipping along the sidewalk on her way to Jake's house. Booker-T was at Misty's house so Midge was going to meet him at Jake's. The early morning had brought rain so she had to watch out for all the mud puddles along the way. She knew her owner would not be happy with her if she was to come home all muddy.
Hey Midge,” said Gabby swooping down in front of her. “What are you doing this morning?”
I'm on my way to Jake's,” said Midge. “What are you doing? We haven't seen you in a couple of days.”
I know,” said Gabby. “I was visiting a friend and got locked in a shed and couldn't get out til last night. I was trapped inside.”

Oh, Gabby,” said Midge. “Are you okay?”
I'm fine now,” said Gabby. “But I sure was scared in there all by myself. My little friend was barking and really carrying on til his owner opened the door last night to see what he was barking at and I got out.”
What were you doing in the shed in the first place?” asked Midge. “You got locked in a place last year. I thought you learned your lesson that time.”
I was looking at something and the man shut the door,” said Gabby. “He didn't know I was in there.”
What was so important in the shed?” asked Midge.
I thought it was a baby squirrel but when I got to the shelf where it was sitting,” said Gabby. “I saw it was a stuffed one. He looked so real.”
Oh my,” said Midge. “Want to go to Jake's?”
Sure,” said Gabby. “Let's go. Where is Booker-T this morning?”
He went to Misty's house so he will meet us at Jake's,” said Midge.
We sure got the rain early this morning,” said Gabby. “Watch out for all those mud puddles. You know what happened the last time you got all muddy.”
I know,” said Midge. “My owner was not happy with me and I lost my new pink ribbon she put on my head that day. How come I can't fly like you? Sure would make it easier for me.”
Hmmmm,” said Gabby. “How come you can't fly like me? Well for one, you don't have feathers and wings.”
That's true,” sighed Midge. “I sure wish I could fly like you do. I could get to Jake's faster.”
And the mud puddles wouldn't be a problem in the air,” laughed Gabby. I think you would look funny flying through the air. A flying dog. Your ears are big enough. Maybe you could flap them up and down.”
Very funny Gabby. But I think it would be fun to fly,” said Midge. “I need some of those little fan looking things attached to my back. Maybe then I could fly.”
Those things are propellers,” laughed Gabby. “I think it would take more than those to lift you off the ground. I don't know much about it but don't think it would work. Think you need to be happy you can walk or run.”
I guess you are right,” said Midge.
Hey you two!” called Booker-T running to catch up to Midge. “What are you doing? I thought you would be at Jake's house already.”
I was talking to Gabby,” said Midge.
Hi Booker-T,” smiled Gabby. “How is Misty this morning?”
She is good,” said Booker-T. “She wants us to come play with her tomorrow in her back yard.”
That will be fun,” said Midge.
She still can't leave the yard?” asked Gabby.
No,” said Booker-T. “Her owner is so afraid to let her get out of the yard after being so sick that time.”
She was bad sick,” said Midge. “I guess her owner wants to be sure she is safe.”
They love her,” said Booker-T. “But I wish she could come to the park with us sometimes.”
Maybe one day they will let her,” said Gabby.
Come on, I'll race you to Jake's house,” said Midge as she took off running.
Watch out for the mud puddles!” called Gabby as he flew off in the direction of Jake's.
I don't want to run this morning Midge,” said Booker-T.
Midge slowed down and waited for Booker-T to catch up. They walked the rest of the way to Jake's house and Midge watched where she stepped along the sidewalk so she didn't step in one of the mud puddles along the way. When they turned the corner and hurried through the gate at Jake's, they saw him sitting on the bottom step of the porch.
Hi,” called Jake. “You are late this morning. I thought we were going to the park early today.”
I got to talking to Gabby and was slow coming,” said Midge.
You talked to Gabby?” asked Jake. “How is he?”
I'm good Jake,” said Gabby as he flew down and landed on the porch railing.
Where have you been?” asked Jake. “We haven't seen you for a couple days.”
I was telling Midge I went to see a friend and got locked in a shed,” said Gabby.
Oh no,” said Jake. “Again? You got yourself locked in one last year.”
I know,” said Gabby. “I guess I need to be careful more.”
Yes you do,” stated Midge. “One of these days you will get locked in and will be stuck in there for long time. You were lucky this time that it was at the house where your friend lives and he could get his owner to open the door to the shed.”
I know Midge,” said Gabby. “But I don't think about getting locked in somewhere.”
But you should think about it,” said Jake. “It could be very dangerous for you not to think.”
Jake is right Gabby,” said Midge.
I will be careful,” said Gabby. “I was sure scared in there in the dark.”
Okay,” said Jake. “Next time think before you go into any place where you could get trapped. Stay outside.”
I will do that,” said Gabby.
Are we ready to go play?” asked Midge wanting to go to the park.
Lets go guys,” said Jake following Midge down the sidewalk and through the gate.

The three strolled along the sidewalk with Gabby flying high above them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T