Friday, September 19, 2014

Midge and the Bug

Midge walked slowly along the sidewalk as she headed to Jake's house.
Hey Midge!” called Booker-T as she passed his house.
Midge stopped a minute or two and began slowly walking again.
Hey Midge!” screamed Booker-T as he hurried to catch up to her. “Hey! Didn't you hear me calling you?”
Oh, hi there Booker-T,” said Midge. “I guess I didn't hear you. How are you this morning?”
I'm good but I think you are in another world right now,” said Booker-T. “Are you okay this morning?”
I'm fine,” smiled Midge. “Do you want to walk with me to Jake's house?”
Sure,” said Booker-T. “Are you sure you are okay?”

I'm good,” said Midge.
Why didn't you hear me?” asked Booker-T. “I called you several times.”
I wasn't listening I guess,” said Midge. “I didn't hear you.”
I know,” agreed Booker-T. “But that isn't like you. You always hear me.”
I guess I wasn't paying any attention this morning,” said Midge.
Why?” asked Booker-T.
I was looking at something and thinking,” said Midge. “I guess I didn't realize I wasn't paying any attention to other things around me.”
What were you thinking about?” asked Booker-T. “And what were you looking at?”
Don't you think bugs are interesting?” asked Midge.
What?” asked Booker-T giving Midge a strange look. “Bugs? Do you know some bugs?:
No,” said Midge. “Never met a bug. I've seen a lot of bugs, but never talked to one. Have you ever talked to one?”
Hmmm,” laughed Booker-T. “I don't think I have ever talked to one either. I don't think I ever thought about talking to one.”
I never did either,” said Midge. “But I saw a very strange looking bug this morning.”
Oh?” said Booker-T. “And where did you see this strange looking bug?”
Look over there on that tree stump,” said Midge. “Go look.”
Booker-T wandered to the tree stump in the yard. He stared at the stump but didn't see anything there. “I don't see any strange looking bugs, Midge. Are you sure you saw it here?”
I'm sure,” insisted Midge. “It was there on the tree stump.”
What did it look like?” asked Booker-T.
Well, let me see,” said Midge as she thought a moment. “It was yellow with black spots on its back.”
Oh,” said Booker-T. “Are you sure it was a bug?”
Yes,” said Midge. “It was walking. I don't know what else it would be.”
I don't know either,” said Booker-T.
What are you two talking about?” asked Gabby as he flew down from the tree branch above.
Hi Gabby,” greeted Booker-T. “What are you two doing? Are you going to Jake's?”
Oh yes,” said Midge. “Oh my, Jake must be waiting for us thinking we got lost.”
She was looking at a bug,” said Booker-T.
A bug!” laughed Gabby. “Why are you looking at a bug?”
It was different,” said Midge. “I never really looked at them before. Don't you think that bugs are interesting?”
Don't think I would call them interesting,” said Gabby. “They are good.”
Good?” asked Midge.
Oh sure,” said Gabby. “I eat them all the time.”
Oh no,” said Midge. “I forgot you and your friends eat bugs. I never ate a bug before.”
You should try one,” said Gabby. “You might like them.”
I don't think so,” said Midge. “I think I will just eat my good food my owner gives me.”
You don't know what you are missing Midge,” laughed Gabby.
All right you two,” laughed Booker-T. “Come on lets go to Jake's house.”
Okay, lets go,” said Midge as she took off running.
Hey,” said Booker-T. “Do we have to run?'
No,” said Midge. “I guess we don't. I just thought we should hurry.”
I don't feel like hurrying this morning,” said Booker-T as he caught up to Midge.
Okay,” agreed Midge as she started to step off the curb.
Gabby flew down quickly and hit her in the head.
Hey!” screamed Midge. “Why did you do that?”
Why did you start going across that street without looking?” asked Gabby. “Don't you see that fire engine coming?”
Midge looked up to see the fire engine zoom past them. “Oh dear,” said Midge. “I didn't even hear it.”
I heard the siren but didn't know it was coming this way,” said Booker-T.
Thanks Gabby,” said Midge.
Pay attention Midge,” said Gabby. “You are usually always good at being safe.”
I guess my mind was somewhere else,” said Midge.
Are you still thinking about that bug?” asked Booker-T.
I guess I was,” said Midge. “I'm good now. Lets go. I will forget about the bug.”
Good idea,” said Booker-T. “Maybe the bug will come back another time and you will see it again.”
I will try to talk to it next time,” said Midge.
Okay,” said Booker-T. “Talking to a bug will be different.”
Am I going to have to stop eating bugs Midge?” asked Gabby.
No,” said Midge. “That's okay. You can eat all the bugs you want. I just want to know what kind of bug that was.”
I know you though,” said Gabby. “If you start talking to bugs, you won't let me eat them anymore.”
I'm okay,” said Midge as they entered the gate at Jake's house.
Hey you guys,” said Jake. “Where have you been? I was getting ready to come look for you.”
Midge was watching some bug,” laughed Booker-T.
A bug?” asked Jake. “What kind of bug?”
I don't know,” said Midge. “I never saw one like it before. It was yellow with black spots on it.”
Oh,” said Jake. “Like that one over there on that plant?”
Midge walked over to the plant and took a look. “That's it,” said Midge. “It looks just like the one I saw. What is it?”
I heard my owner call it a beetle,” said Jake.
I don't eat beetles,” said Gabby. “I only eat little bugs or worms. I love seeds and fruits.”
It is a funny looking bug,” said Booker-T. “Does it bite?”
I don't know and I'm not going to find out,” said Jake.
Ask it if it bites, Midge,” laughed Booker-T.
You want to talk to it?” said Jake with a puzzled look on his face.
I don't know,” said Midge. “Maybe.”
Leave the bug alone and lets go to the park,” said Booker-T.
Midge looked back at the plant and the bug was gone. “Okay,” said Midge. “Lets go.”
The three walked along the sidewalk toward the park while Gabby flew above them. After crossing the street into the park, they started running toward the pond for a quick swim.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T