Friday, September 12, 2014

Winter is Coming

Hi Midge,” said Booker-T as he joined her on the porch. “Are you going to Jake's this morning?”
Midge just sat on the edge of the porch, staring into the air.
Hey Midge!” called Booker-T. “Are you in there?”
Oh hi, Booker-T,” said Midge. “How are you this morning?”
Are you all right?” asked Booker-T. “I was calling to you and you didn't say a word, like you didn't hear me.”
Oh, I'm sorry. Yes I am fine. I think I was daydreaming again,” said Midge. “I just came outside. What are you doing?”
I came to walk with you and thought I might say hello to Snappy before we go,” said Booker-T. “What are you daydreaming about this time?”

You know,” said Midge. “Winter is on the way again.”
This is true,” laughed Booker-T. “It comes every year about this time.”
I know,” said Midge. “I like playing in the snow, but I don't think I'm ready for the cold weather yet.”
We still have time yet,” said Booker-T. “I don't think snow will be here for a couple more months.”
I guess you are right,” said Midge.
Can we go see Snappy before we go to Jake's?” asked Booker-T.
He would love to see you,” said Midge as she started down the steps. “Come on, lets go inside.”
The two walked around to the back of the house and Booker-T followed Midge in through the doggie door in the back door. They entered the dark kitchen, only lite by the small light coming through the window near the sink.
Wow, it's dark in here this morning,” said Booker-T.
My owner was in a hurry this morning and forgot to open the curtains,” said Midge. “She usually always opens the curtains in the morning before she leaves, but got a phone call and forgot.”
She keeps the curtains closed at night?” asked Booker-T.
She always closes them all at night,” said Midge. “Doesn't your owner close your curtains over there?”
She closes the windows in all the rooms but the kitchen,” said Booker-T. “I don't know why she leaves it open. Once she is done with dinner and the dishes, she usually don't go back in there.”
Okay,” said Midge as they went into the living room where a small light was lit on the corner table. “Hey Snappy! Look who is here to see you.”
Hi Snappy,” called Booker-T as he jumped into the chair beside the tank. “How are you?”
I am doing really good Booker-T,” smiled Snappy. “It is nice to see you this morning. Midge said she was going to Jake's house this morning. I asked her to bring you and Jake to see me.”
Do you miss the pond now?” asked Booker-T.
No,” said Snappy. “Well, maybe a little I miss the pond, but I really do like it in my new home. I feel so much safer in here than out there in the open. Kids never watched where they walked when they ran around the pond. I was always afraid I might get stepped on.”
That would be scary,” said Midge. “You are very small.”
I know,” said Snappy.
Was your mom small too?” asked Booker-T.
I don't know,” said Snappy. “I don't remember ever seeing my mom.”
That's a little sad,” said Midge. “I guess we never talked about that before.”
It's okay guys,” said Snappy. “I good here in this new home.”
I like your pretty rocks in the side of the tank,” said Booker-T. “They are pretty colors.”
Those are marbles, Booker-T,” said Midge. “Our owner puts them in with the real rocks so Snappy has some colorful stuff in there.”
Wow, they sure are pretty,” said Booker-T. “I saw some of those in the alley when I lived there.”
You had rocks like this where you lived?” asked Midge. “I think my owner bought these at a store. She brought them home with Snappy's food last week.”
The kids used to play with them in the sand in the school yard,” said Booker-T. “I saw them all the time with those little balls. I didn't know what they were. One of the boys hit one too hard one time and it came near me. I tried to get it but they screamed at me and chased me away.”
Oh,” said Snappy. “That's sad they wanted to chase you away and wouldn't let you play with the little balls.”
You can have one of my pretty little rocks if you want,” smiled Snappy.
No, that's okay,” said Booker-T. “You enjoy them in your nice home. They make your little home really pretty, Snappy.”
Are you on your way to Jake's now?” asked Snappy.
Yes,” said Midge as she jumped down from the chair. “I will see you later, okay.”
Okay Midge,” said Snappy. “Tell Jake I said hello and to come see me soon.”
We will,” smiled Booker-T. “I know he will like to come see you soon. Maybe we can get him to come to the house in the morning, okay?
That would be nice,” said Snappy. “Bye Booker-T.”
Enjoy your day guys,” said Snappy as he watched them leave the room.
I like those little marbles,” said Booker-T as they went outside.
They are pretty,” agreed Midge. “But they are sure small for playing catch with.”
I don't think they use them for playing catch,” said Booker-T. “The boys who were playing with them, always had them on the ground. They never picked them up and tossed them.”
I never saw anyone playing with them before,” said Midge. “I heard my owner call them marbles when she put them into Snappy's tank. I thought they were really pretty rocks.”
They are pretty,” said Booker-T as they started walking along the sidewalk. “Here comes Jake.”
Hey you two,” said Jake. “Where have you been? I thought we were going to the park today?”
Sorry Jake,” said Booker-T. “It is my fault we are late. I wanted to go see Snappy before we came to your house.”
How is Snappy today?” said Jake. “I miss the little guy at the park.”
He's doing really good, Jake,” said Midge. “He is happy in the new home. Sometimes he says he misses the park a little. He wants you to come see him.”
Do you want to go back to your house and visit with Snappy instead of going to the park today?” asked Jake.
Maybe we can go play for a little while at the park and then come back and visit with Snappy before my owner comes home,” said Midge.
Okay,” said Jake. “We can do that. Then we can rest and visit with Snappy. Do you have anything to eat when we come back from the park?”
You are always hungry,” laughed Jake. “I still have some food in my big bowl my owner set down this morning.”
Okay,” smiled Jake. “Lets go play.”
The three took off running along the sidewalk to the park and scurried across the park to the pond where they found some boys sitting along the edge with fishing poles.
I wonder if they know there are no fish in the pond?” laughed Booker-T.
I don't know. But they look like they are having fun,” said Jake. “Lets go back to your house and visit with Snappy. We can come play tomorrow.”
The three agreed and ran back to Midge's house to spend the day with Snappy.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T