Friday, February 13, 2015

Happy Valentine's Day

Midge ran over to Booker-T's house as he was coming around the corner from the back yard.
“Hey Booker-T,” said Midge.
“What are you doing?” asked Booker-T. “I was just coming to your house. I wanted to say hi to Snappy before we go to Jake's house.”
“Okay,” smiled Midge. “This is for you.”
“Thank you,” said Booker-T taking the little treat from her. “What is this for?”
“Today is Valentine's day,” said Midge. “So this is my valentine to you.”
“But isn't Valentine's day for Sweethearts?” asked Booker-T.

“No,” said Midge. “It is for friends too and you are my friend.”
“You are my friend too Midge,” said Booker-T.
“Come on, lets go see Snappy,” said Midge as she turned to go back to her house with Booker-T.
The two entered the house through the doggie door in the back of the house and ran to the living room where they leaped into the chairs next to the tank where Snappy lived.
“Hi Snappy,” said Booker-T. “Happy Valentine's day to you.”
“Happy Valentine's day to you too,” said Snappy. “We don't have sweethearts to spend it with.”
“Midge said it was not just for sweethearts,” said Booker-T.
“It is for friends too,” smiled Midge. “We are all friends so the day is for us too.”
“Did your owner get a valentine from anyone?” asked Booker-T. “My owner got a really pretty box of chocolate candy and a card with big red hearts on it.”
“We can't eat chocolate,” said Midge. “The humans said it is bad for us.”
“It smells really good,” said Booker-T. “Wonder why it is bad for us.”
“I don't know,” said Midge.
“Are you going to Jake's today?” asked Snappy.
“Yes,” said Midge. “Booker-T wanted to come say hi before we go.”
“I'm glad you came over here,” smiled Snappy. “I am always happy to see you when you come.”
“Hi everyone!” called Jake as he hurried across the room and jumped up to the tank and pressed his nose against the glass of the tank. “Hi Snappy.”
“Hi there,” smiled Snappy.
“Booker-T and I were getting ready to come to your house,” said Midge. “I'm glad you came to say hi to Snappy.”
“We miss you at the pond,” said Jake. “But I know your new home here is better for you.”
“Especially in the winter,” agreed Midge. “It is so cold out there for such a little guy like you are.”
“I'm happy here in this new home,” said Snappy. “I have nice logs to sit on and rocks and pretty flowers in here and the food is good.”
“We are lucky,” said Midge.
“I think we all are lucky to have really nice homes,” said Jake.
“And we are lucky we all are such good friends,” said Booker-T.
“Happy Valentine's day to us all,” smiled Midge as she handed Jake a little treat and one for Snappy. “Here is another for you Booker-T.”
“You are so nice Midge,” said Jake.
“I agree,” said Booker-T. “If it wasn't for you and you sweet heart, I would not have such a great home.”
“Me too,” said Snappy. “I agree. She helped me get this really good home.”
“Do you want to go to the pond with us Snappy?” asked Jake. “I can put you on our sled and pull you to the park today.”
“It is too cold out there,” said Snappy. “Winter is still here I think.”
“Yes, it is still here,” said Midge. “I want the weather to warm up. I am tired of the cold.”
“Me too,” agreed Booker-T. “It is really cold this year. I think lot more snow too.”
“I think so too,” said Jake.
“We are going to the park and play in the snow for a little while,” said Midge. “We will come back when we get too cold.”
“Okay,” said Snappy. “Enjoy your day at the park even in the cold.”
“We will be back later,” said Midge. “Happy Valentine's day again Snappy.”
“Thanks you guys,” smiled Snappy.
The three friends ran to the back door and out the doggie door. The wind was blowing the gave then a chill. Snow still covered the ground but the sidewalks were clear. They hurried along as quick as they could run. “Are we sure we want to go to the park?” asked Booker-T. “This wind is very cold today.”
“Maybe we should think about this a little,” said Midge. “The wind is blowing hard today and making it so cold.”
“I think you are right,” said Jake. “Why don't we go back in your house and we can visit with Snappy today. It is nice and warm in the house.”
“I'm ready,” said Booker-T. “Lets go.”
The three ran to the back door and back inside where it was warm. They hurried to the living room and Snappy was surprised to see them back so quickly. “What happened?” asked Snappy.
“The wind is blowing outside a lot,” said Midge. “We decided that the wind was too cold today so we came back here.”
“That is good,” smiled Snappy. “I don't like it when the wind is blowing and it is cold.”
“I don't like it either,” agreed Booker-T.
“The wind is bad,” said Jake. “I am okay with the cold sometimes, but the wind makes it lot colder feeling out there.”
“How do the humans do it when they go out in it?” asked Snappy.
“I think they wear a lot of heavy coats and hats and my owner wears gloves on her hands to keep them warm,” said Midge.
“I wonder why we animals don't have all those clothes like the humans have to keep warm,” said Booker-T.
“I guess we have the natural fur coats and they think we are warm in it,” said Jake.
“Maybe,” said Midge. “But our fur coats don't help much. We still get cold. I wish we had a sweater and warm boots and maybe a hat too.”
“I see some dogs with sweaters on,” said Jake. “But I think their feet are still cold. They don't have boots on.”
“I guess humans think we are warm all the time,” said Jake.
“We don't have a way to tell them we are cold,” said Booker-T.
“Yes we do,” said Midge.
“You can talk to your owner?” asked Jake.
“Not talk,” said Midge. “But when we go outside for our business, we can come back in and shake.”
“I think that is a good idea,” said Booker-T. “Maybe when they see us shaking, they will know we are cold.”
“We can try it,” said Jake. “It is really cold with the wind today. When our owners come home this afternoon we should run outside and back in and start shaking.”
“I will try that too,” said Booker-T.
“Me too,” said Midge. “I hope this works.”
They all agreed that they would try today.

“Happy Valentine's day everyone,” said Midge.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T