Thursday, February 26, 2015

Early Morning Frost

Midge woke up early and ran to the kitchen and out the little doggie door to the back yard. She quickly stopped and looked around at the trees and the bushes.
Wow!” thought Midge. The light glistened off the trees like many shiny gems hanging on them. “This is really beautiful.”
She stood for a short time just looking around at the back yard that was covered in a white blanket. She walked into the yard to take care of business and the ground made a crunch noise beneath her feet. She hurried back inside and jumped into the chair next to Snappy's tank and curled up in the blanket her owner set there for her.
“You are up early today,” said Snappy.
“Good morning Snappy,” smiled Midge. “Yes it is early. I had to go outside and could not wait any longer. Did I wake you up?”

“No,” said Snappy. “I get up early in the mornings and watch the sun come up through the window.”
It should look really pretty today outside when the sun comes up,” said Midge.l “Everything is white out there.”
Did it snow last night again?” asked Snappy.
No,” aid Midge as she drifted back to sleep in the chair.
As the sun began to rise in the sky, Snappy could see the trees outside the window. “The trees look like all their leaves are all back on the trees now,” said Snappy. “But they are all white.”
That is front on the trees,” said Midge. “The ground is covered too and it crunches when I walk on it.”
I think it is too cold out there right now,” said Snappy.
It is very cold on my feet,” said Midge. “I hurried to come back inside where it is warm.”
The trees sparkle pretty in the sun when there is frost on them,” smiled Snappy.
The ground looks the same,” said Midge. “It is all pretty, but too cold to walk on it.”
Are you going to Jake's this morning?” asked Snappy.
I think Jake and Booker-T are coming to see you this morning,” replied Midge.
Did you go sliding on the ice at the pond yesterday?” asked Snappy.
No,” said Midge. “We went there but there were too many kids and they were all skating on the pond so we came home to warm up.”
I didn't like it when the pond froze,” said Sappy. “My little pond in here is nice and warm all the time.”
I wish I had one of those boxes that Booker-T has so I didn't have to go outside when there is snow on the ground.”
What kind of box does he have?” asked Snappy.
It is a box with gravel in it and he does his business in it,” said Midge. “I want one too.”
Oh, wow,” said Sappy. “I thought all animals went outside.”
I guess cats don't,” said Midge. “I think they can go outside if they want or use this box their owner gives them.”
You are always thinking up ideas, Midge,” said Snappy. “Can you think of a way to get your owner to buy you one?”
Booker-T said they were only for cats,” said Midge. “They don't make them for dogs.”
Why do they make the only for the cats?” asked Snappy.
I don't know,” said Midge shaking her head. “Maybe cats aren't supposed to go outside all the time,” said Midge. “And Booker-T goes outside all the time. Maybe he uses his box in the middle of the night.”
What are you two talking about?” asked Booker-T as he and Jake entered the room.
Hi you two,” said Midge. “We were talking about your box with the gravel in it,” said Midge. “I still think I need one of them too. It is too cold to go outside.”
Start thinking,” laughed Jake. “Midge, you can think of a way to get one I'm sure.”
I've been thinking but can't come up with an idea yet,” sighed Midge. “Can I drag your box over here, Booker-T?”
But I use my box sometimes,” said Booker-T.
I will drag it back next day,” said Midge. “I just want to borrow it for one day so my owner can see me use it.”
My box won't fit through your little doggie door,” said Booker-T. “I can give you my empty gravel bag to show her.”
She will just think it is some kind of garbage I dragged in from someone's trash or off the street,” said Midge.
I guess you will have to give up the idea of getting a box,” said Jake. “We dogs just have to go outside in the cold, the rain, the snow, the heat and all kids of weather.”
I don't mind the heat,” said Midge. “But I wish it wouldn't get so cold here.”
Me too,” agreed Jake.
It is nice having the box so I don't have to go outside,” smiled Booker-T. “Sorry you guys don't have one.”
I guess it wasn't meant to be for us,” sighed Midge. “We just have to go out in the bad weather and the good.”
Think about it a while Midge,” said Jake. “You are good at coming up with ideas to get your owner to get you things. I'm sure you can come up with something.”
Maybe I can find an old box and drag it home and climb in like I am using it when she is home to see,” thought Midge. “That might work.”
Midge! Midge!” said Jake. “Are you in there?”
What?” asked Midge.
We were calling your name and you weren't answering,” said Jake. “Are you okay?”
I'm good,” said Midge. “I was thinking. I might have an idea.”
Oh no,” said Booker-T. “We should have known.”
I think if I get an old box and drag it home and then climb in like am using it and she sees me,” said Midge. “Maybe she will get the hint.”
It might work,” said Jake. “Let's go find you a box in the alley behind the cafe.”
The three took off out the door and headed up the sidewalk in search of a box.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T