Friday, June 3, 2016

The Race

“Dummm di dummm,” sang Midge as she hurried along the sidewalk to meet Booker-T at his house and together they were going to Jake's house.
“Hi Midge,” said Booker-T as he came through the gate to join Midge on the walk to Jake's. “What are we going to do today?”
“I think we are going to the park for a little swim in the pond,” said Midge. “I think it is warm enough.”
“I think so too,” said Booker-T. “Too bad Snappy can't go with us. I wonder if he is missing the pond in the summer time?”
“I don't think so anymore,” smiled Midge. “He sure loves his nice inside home.”
“It is safer for him,” said Booker-T as they skipped along the sidewalk.
The two hurried around the corner and entered the front yard at Jake's house.

“Hey Jake!” called Midge. “What are you doing?”
“Jake!” called Booker-T. “Where are you buddy?”
Jake came around the house from the back yard. “I'm right here,” said Jake. “What are you two doing?”
“Did you forget that we are going to the park today?” asked Booker-T. “We told you that we would come this morning.”
“Oh yes,” said Jake. “I'm sorry. I did forget.”
“Are you ready to go?” asked Midge.
“Okay,” said Jake.
“Lets go,” said Booker-T. “I want to go for swim.”
The three headed out the gate and started up the sidewalk. “Skippidity do da,” sang Midge.
“What are you singing?” asked Jake. “I've never heard that word before.”
“What word?” asked Midge.
“Skippidity,” replied Jake.
“I made it up,” laughed Midge.
“You are making up words now?” asked Booker-T.
“It just hit my brain,” said Midge.
Suddenly, Midge felt something bump the top of her head. “Oh!” said Midge looking over at Jake.
“Hey there Bitsy!” said Jake seeing her land on top of Midge's head.
“It's you, Bitsy?” asked Midge.
“Hi guys,” said Bitsy. “Where are you guys going?”
“We are headed to the park to go swimming in the pond,” said Jake. “Do you want to go with us?”
“I'd like that,” smiled Bitsy.
“Where is your momma?” asked Booker-T.
“She is flying over to the other side of town to meet Polly,” said Bitsy.
“Oh, yes,” said Jake. “That's Gabby's friend.”
“Didn't you want to go?” asked Midge.
“It is a long way to fly so I told my momma I wanted to come see you guys,” said Bitsy. “You were so nice to me when I fell out of the nest.”
“We are happy to see you,” said Midge. “It won't be long and you will be able to fly that far also.”
“I like being with you so it's okay,” said Bitsy.
“Lets go,” said Jake.
“Can I ride on your head Midge?” asked Bitsy.
“You don't want to fly?” asked Booker-T,
“I can fly,” said Bitsy. “But I want to be down here with you guys.”
“Sure,” said Midge. “Climb on top of my head and lets go.”
The three hurried along the sidewalk with Bitsy riding on top of Midge.
“Bouncy bouncy,” laughed Bitsy. “This is so much fun!”
“Bouncy bouncy,” sang Midge. “Riding along with me.”
“That's cute,” said Jake. “You two sing good together.”
“Want to join us?” asked Bitsy.
“Oh no,” said Jake shaking his head. “I can't sing. I tried once and it sounded like a sick cow moaning.”
“He was really bad,” laughed Booker-T, “I can't sing either.”
“I'm not too good either,” said Midge. “But I like to sing so I do it anyway.”
“My momma always sings to me when I go to sleep,” smiled Bitsy.
“Did she teach you to sing?” asked Booker-T.
“Yes,” said Bitsy.
“You sing pretty,” smiled Booker-T.
“Thank you,” said Bitsy blushing. “I bet you and Jake can learn to sing if you really want to.”
“I can sing,” said Booker-T. “I just don't sing good. I sound like a howling cat that has a tummy ache.”
“And I can sing,” said Jake. “But I sound very bad. Gabby says I can't carry a tune.”
“That is okay,” said Bitsy. “It's fun to sing anyway.”
“But when I sing,” said Jake. “Humans think an air raid siren just went off and they go running.”
“Ha ha ha,” laughed Bitsy. “Oh my goodness. Maybe you have to sing in the house.”
“I just don't sing at all,” sighed Jake.
“Here we are, at the park,” said Midge. “I'll race you to the pond,”
“Count to three Bitsy,” said Jake.
“What are you going to do?” asked Bitsy. “What is a race?”
“We are going to run real fast to the pond and the first one there wins,” said Booker-T.
“What do you win?” asked Bitsy.
“It is just for fun,” laughed Midge. “We like to run fast sometimes. Can you hang on good and tight when I run?”
“I don't know,” said Bitsy. “Maybe I will fly above you when you run.”
“Okay,” said Midge. “Count to three.”
“One, two, three,” counted Bitsy.
The three took off running really fast across the part, around the trees, to the pond. Jake beat Midge and Booker-T and sat down near the pond waiting for them. Bitsy sat on the back of the bench near the pond.
“Wow!” said Bitsy. “You run really fast Jake.”
“I like to race,” said Jake.
“Can I race with you some time?” asked Bitsy.
“It might be hard for you to run with us,” said Midge as she joined them. “Your legs are very little.”
“I think you can fly faster than we can run,” said Booker-T.
“See how fast I can run,” said Bitsy as she jumped down to the ground and started running around Midge. Suddenly she hit a rock and tumbled head over tail. “Ouch!”
“I think it is safer for you to fly,” smiled Midge. “We dogs and cats can run and birds fly.”
“You are right,” agreed Bitsy. “I better not run.”
“Lets go splash around in the pond,” said Jake.

They all agreed and hurried to the water.

1 comment:

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T