Thursday, November 2, 2017

A Message from Outer Space?

Jake, Midge and Booker-T strolled along the sidewalk on their way to the little zoo to check out the animals that might be there this time. Around the corner, Midge noticed something strange on the sidewalk.
“What is that Jake?” asked Midge. “Is it a strange message?”
“Maybe a strange message from outer space,” suggested Booker-T.
“I don't know,” said Jake. “I never saw it before.”
“Me either,” agreed Midge. “What do all the squares mean?”
“I don't know,” said Jake. “Each square has a number.”
“Why?” asked Booker-T.
“I don't know,” said Jake.

“I wonder if Gabby knows what it is,” said Midge. “He goes all over the city and maybe he has seen this before.”
“Maybe,” said Booker-T. “I think it is a message from outer space.”
“They talk in numbers?” asked Midge.
“Maybe,” said Jake. “We don't know if the outer space people speak English. Maybe they use a number language.”
“What language talks in numbers?” asked Midge. “I never heard anyone talking in numbers before.”
“Something called Math uses numbers,” said Booker-T. “My owner uses numbers all the time when she is working on things.”
“Mine does too when she is paying something she calls Bills,” said Jake.
“Oh yes,” said Midge. “I think mine does too.”
“So is this language called Math?” asked Booker-T. “I don't understand Math.”
“Do they add all these numbers up that are in these squares?” asked Midge.
“There are nine squares and this one big round one here,” said Jake. “I wonder who the message is for?”
“I don't think the message is to any animals,” said Midge. “We don't understand what it is saying.”
“What are you guys doing?” asked Gabby as he swooped down from above.
“Hey Gabby,” said Midge. “We were just talking about you.”
“Oh,” said Gabby. “What were you saying?”
“We were talking about the space messaged and thought you might know what it is,” said Jake.
“What message?” asked Gabby. “I have never seen a message from outer space.”
“Have you ever heard anyone speak in the math language?” asked Booker-T.
“I never heard of the math language,” said Gabby looking a bit puzzled. “What is the math language?”
“They talk with numbers,” said Jake.
“Where did you hear someone talking with numbers?” asked Gabby. “What message are you talking about?”
“This message on the sidewalk,” said Jake. “See the squares with the numbers. What are they saying?”
Gabby got above it and looked down at the squares drawn on the sidewalk. He landed back on the sidewalk next to the squares and started laughing. He laughed so hard that he fell over off his feet.
“Is it saying something funny?” asked Midge.
“No,” laughed Gabby. “This is something the kids do.”
“The kids are speaking in Math language?” asked Booker-T. “Wow a language just for kids.”
“It's not a language Booker-T,” said Gabby. “This is a game the kids play.”
“A game?” asked Midge. “What kind of a game?”
“This is something called Hopscotch,” said Gabby. “Mostly the girls play it.”
“How do you play this math game?” asked Jake.
“It's not a math game,” said Gabby. “They have some little thing like a button, a rock, or something and they stand at the bottom of the drawing and toss it onto the square. Then they jump on one foot up the squares to the top.. when they get to two squares side by side, they put both feet down. They jump all the way to the top big circle.”
“This is a strange game,” said Jake. “I think it would be hard for us to play.”
“Why?” asked Midge.
“We have four feet,” said Jake. “It would be hard for us to jump on one foot.”
“Maybe we can put two feet in one square,” suggested Booker-T.
“But how do we stand with two feet in one square and the other two in the one next to it and still be facing forward?” asked Jake.
“I don't think this is a good game for animals,” said Gabby. “Maybe you can find some girls playing it and sit and watch them.”
“I think it was more fun thinking it was a new language from outer space,” said Midge. “Humans play some funny games sometimes.”
“Do they have any good games for animals to play?” asked Booker-T.
“Humans like to play fetch with us,” said Jake. “They like to throw a ball and laugh or clap when we run and get it and bring it back to them to do it again.”
“Some humans teach their dogs to do tricks,” said Midge.
“Why don't they teach cats to do tricks?” asked Booker-T. “We are just as smart as dogs.”
“I don't know,” said Jake. “I didn't know they didn't teach cats.”
“I think you are smart Booker-T,” said Midge.
“I do too,” said Jake.
“I think we are all smart,” said Booker-T. “Maybe some day humans and animals will be able to talk to each other.”
“That would be cool, Booker-T,” said Midge. “Sometimes I wish my owner knew what I wanted.”
“Me too,” agreed Jake.
“I liked the idea of the math language,” laughed Midge. “Maybe some where someone speaks the numbers language.”
“That would be cool,” said Booker-T.
“Hey you guys,” said Gabby. “Lets go to the little zoo building. They have a new big bird there called a Buzzard.”
“What is a buzzard?” asked Booker-T.
“It is a big bird,” said Gabby. “Come on and I will show you.”
“Lets go,” said Jake. “We haven't been there in a little while. Maybe there are some other animals too.”
“Lets go see,” said Midge.
The three strolled along the sidewalk to the zoo with Gabby flying above.


1 comment:

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T