Thursday, November 30, 2017

Humans Sure Are Funny

“Hey Jake!” called Midge as she and Booker-T entered the gate at Jake's house. “Where are you? I don't see you on the front porch!”
“Isn't he suppose to go to the vet's office today for his shots?” asked Booker-T.
“I don't remember for sure,” said Midge. “I always thought he went to the vet about the same time I do.”
“When do you go?” asked Booker-T.
“I think I go in about two weeks,” said Midge. “My owner always puts it on the calendar with a big letter V on the date.”
“Let's go around to the back of the house and peak in through the doggie door,” suggested Booker-T. “Maybe he was sleeping late.”
“Jake don't usually sleep late,” said Midge. “I hope he isn't sick.”
Booker-T poked his head into the house and looked around. “Come on Midge lets go see if he is in here.”

Midge followed Booker-T into the house and they walked through the kitchen and into the living room. Jake was not there. They slowly walked into the bedroom where they found Jake sprawled across the bed.
“Hey Jake!” called Midge. “Are you going to sleep your life away?”
Jake rolled over and sat up and stared at Midge and Booker-T. “What are you doing here?”
“What are you doing sleeping?” laughed Midge.
“I asked you first,” said Jake as he sat up on the bed.
“We came over to see you and find out if you want to go to the park or the zoo today,” said Booker-T. “We found you fast asleep on the bed. Are you sick?”
“No,” said Jake as he shook his head. “My owner was up late last night watching a scary movie and I sat up with her with my eyes glued to the TV screen.”
“You glued your eyes to the TV screen?” asked Midge as she tipped her head to the side with a puzzled look.
“Didn't that hurt?” asked Booker-T.
“I mean I was watching the scary moving and didn't look away from the TV,” said Jake. “I wouldn't really glue my eyes to the screen. That would probably be not a good thing.”
“It is a strange saying if you didn't really do that,” said Midge.
“I heard my owner say that thing one time when she was watching a good movie,” said Jake. “She told her friend on the phone that her eyes were glued to the screen the whole time that movie was on. I looked all over the TV when the movie went off and I never saw her eyes on it at all.”
“Were they still in her head?” asked Booker-T.
“I got up on the sofa and looked at her and her eyes were still in her head,” said Jake. “Maybe she put them back in when the movie went off.”
“Humans sure say some funny things don't they,” said Midge. “Why do they talk funny?”
“I don't know,” said Jake.
“Did you know that humans have marbles in their head,” said Midge.
“Who does?” asked Jake.
“Do they rattle when they shake their heads?” asked Booker-T. “I never heard anyone's head rattling.”
“I heard my owner telling someone on the phone the other day,” said Midge. “That someone lost their marbles and now the head was empty.”
“Oh wow,” said Booker-T. “If he had marbles up there, how did he lose them?”
“Maybe he was talking too much and they fell out,” laughed Jake. “Does your head rattle when you shake it?”
Midge shook her head. “No,” said Midge. “I don't hear anything, did you?”
“I didn't hear anything either,” said Jake. “How about you Booker-T.”
“No,” said Booker-T. I didn't hear anything either.”
“Maybe animals don't have marbles in their heads,” suggested Midge.
“I wonder why humans have marbles in their heads,” said Booker-T.
“I don't know,” said Jake. “Did you know that they have phones that are smart?”
“I didn't even know that there were stupid ones,” laughed Midge. “Why are they smart?”
“I don't know,” said Jake. “I just heard my owner tell someone that she just bought a smart phone.”
“Does it talk to her?” asked Booker-T.
“Sometimes,” said Jake. “But I don't think she likes it when it is being smart and talks to her.”
“Why?” asked Midge. “She bought a smart phone but don't want it to be smart.”
“One day she pushed the button and I heard the phone say “What can I do for you today?” said Jake.
“Did she answer it?” asked Midge.
“She pushed the button and told it to shut up,” laughed Jake. “I guess she didn't like the phone talking to her.”
“Did you know that humans eat some strange foods too?” asked Booker-T.
“What kind of strange food does your owner eat?” asked Jake.
“My owner don't,” said Booker-T. “A friend of hers was at the house the other day and she said someone at a bowl of stupid for breakfast. What is stupid? I never heard of that food.”
“I don't know,” said Jake. “I don't think my owner has that to eat either.”
“I wonder if stupid taste good?” asked Midge. “I don't think my owner has any of that stuff either.”
“I think people are just funny,” said Jake. “They say funny things and they do strange things and now it sounds like they eat funny stuff to.”
“Yes,” laughed Booker-T. “Humans are sure different than we animals. I think we are smart.”
“I think we are too,” agreed Jake and Midge.
“I don't think I want a bowl of stupid to eat.” said Midge. “Lets go to the zoo and see what new animals are there.”
“Okay,” said Booker-T. “Maybe one of them eats the stuff called Stupid. We can ask them.”
“Maybe Gabby knows,” said Jake. “He is always going here and there and I bet he knows.”

“We will ask him when we see him if we remember,” said Midge.   

1 comment:

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T