Thursday, November 9, 2017

The Buzzard

Jake, Midge and Booker-T, with Gabby flying above them, stopped at the zoo door and looked inside.
“Over there,” said Gabby. “See that big bird on the tree branch.”
“Wow,” said Booker-T. “He is a big bird.”
“Lets go see,” said Jake.
“He's a pretty bird,” said Midge. “I like his brown spots.”
They stood at the cage looking at the bird. He was sitting on the tree limb in the cage. The sign on the bars says his name is Buzzy.
“Hello Buzzy,” said Midge.
“Who are you?” asked Buzzy. “Why are you outside the cage?”

“We are not wild animals,” said Booker-T. “We don't live in a cage.”
“I used to live in some pretty woods until someone captured me,” said Buzzy. “Now I live in a cage.”
“How did they catch you?” asked Jake.
“I was flying around looking for food when I flew into a net,” said Buzzy. “They put me in a small cage in the back of a truck with some other birds. What are they going to do with me?”
“The sign says you are going to our big zoo on the other side of the town,” said Jake.
“Why?” asked Buzzy. “What is this thing called a zoo?”
“They take care of animals and birds and people come to see them,” said Midge. “It is a really nice zoo and they take really good care of you there.”
“Where do you live?” asked Buzzy.
“We live in a house with humans,” said Midge.
“Can I come live with you?” asked Buzzy. “I don't want to be in a cage. I could fly around and come home to your house at night.”
“I don't think our owners would like that,” said Jake.
“Why?” asked Buzzy.
“Wild animals and wild birds don't belong in houses,” said Booker-T. “They belong in the outside.”
“But I'm not outside,” said Buzzy. “I'm here in this cage now. I miss my friends and my girlfriend.”
“You had a girlfriend?” asked Midge.
“Yes,” sighed Buzzy. “We mate for life and I miss her.”
“What is her name?” asked Jake.
“Her name is Millie,” said Buzzy. “Do you think you can find her for me?”
“I don't know,” said Midge. “Where do we look for her?”
“I saw her the last time in the big forest park they call Leewood Park,” said Buzzy. “Do you know where it is?”
“I think it is the park we go play in,” said Jake. “We will go find her for you if we can.”
“When are they taking me to the other zoo?” asked Buzzy. “How will my girlfriend find me?”
“We will tell her what the name of the zoo it,” said Midge. “I hope we can find her for you.”
“Can you open the cage here and let me out?” asked Buzzy. “I will go back to the park where she is.”
“We can't open it,” said Jake. “They lock the cages so no one opens them.”
“I want to go home to where Millie is,” sighed Buzzy.
“We know you do,” said Booker-T. “I wish we could help but we can't help you get out of the cage.”
“It will be okay Buzzy,” said Jake. “And in the big zoo, you will be safe from humans and bad animals.”
“Can Millie come stay with me at the big zoo?” asked Buzzy.
“Maybe we can find her and she can come sit on top of the cage here when they come to get you for the other zoo,” said Midge. “They will see her and put her in the cage with you to take to the zoo.”
“Please go find her for me,” said Buzzy.
“We will go now to the park,” said Jake.
“Thanks,” said Buzzy.
Midge, Jake and Booker-T started out the door of the zoo. “Where did Gabby go?” asked Midge.
“I don't know,” said Jake. “We were talking to Buzzy and I didn't see him fly away.”
“Do you think he hurried to the park to find Millie,” asked Booker-T.
“Maybe,” said Midge. “Lets hurry.”
They ran for the park, being careful to look both ways when crossing the streets. As they entered the park, they found Gabby sitting on a park bench talking to another bird. When they got close to them, they noticed it looked like Buzzy.
“Hi Gabby,” said Midge.
The other bird started to fly away when they came close. “It's okay,” said Gabby. “These are my friends and they won't hurt you. Hi Midge.”
“Who is this?” asked Jake.
“Meet Millie,” said Gabby. “She is Buzzy's girlfriend. She was calling for him when I got here and heard her calling.”
“Do you know Buzzy?” asked Millie.
“We all met him and told him we would try to find you,” said Booker-T. “He misses you.”
“I miss him too,” said Millie. “Can I go to where he is?”
“Did Gabby tell you they were going to take him to a big zoo?” asked Midge.
“He told me,” said Millie. “How do we get him out of the cage he is in?”
“I don't know of a way to get him out,” said Jake. “But maybe you can get in and go with him to the new home. You will have plenty of food and be safe from any animals that might want to hurt you.”
“Would you like to go with him?” asked Midge.
“I would like to,” said Millie. “Lets go see him.”
“Gabby will take you there and we will follow behind since we can't fly,” said Midge.
Gabby took off from the bench with Millie following behind. Jake, Midge and Booker-T ran back to the zoo. When they got to the zoo, they found Gabby and Millie sitting on the cage talking to Buzzy. He was happy to see Millie.
“Thank you all for finding Millie,” smiled Buzzy. “She is going to wait here with me so we can go to the big zoo together.”
“Thank you for helping us,” said Millie.

They said good-bye and Jake, Midge and Booker-T walked home, happy they could help.

1 comment:

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T