Friday, March 10, 2023

A New Friend at the Farm

 

Midge sat on the front porch waiting for Booker-T. She sat looking around the yard at the flower plants that her owner had planted. She got up and walked to the two rose bushes she had planted near the porch. She stood staring at the bush. Booker-T came through the front gate.

What are you looking for, Midge?” asked Booker-T as he walked to the porch.

I think spring is here now,” smiled Midge.

How do you know?” asked Booker-T.

I see some new leaves on my owner's rose bush,” said Midge. “Does that mean we will have warmer weather now?”

It is a little warmer now,” said Booker-T. “I hope the winter is done.”

Me too,” said Midge nodding her head. “I like the warm weather. What are we going to do today?”

I don't know,” said Booker-T. “What do you want to do today? It is too cold yet to go swimming in the pond at the park.”

Maybe we can go to the farm and play and visit the cows and horses,” suggested Midge.

That sounds like fun,” said Booker-T. “Lets go to Jake's house and ask him if he wants to go and play at the farm. Maybe we can beat Lucy from coming to his house.”

They ran out the gate and started up the sidewalk. When they reached the corner, they saw Jake and Lucy coming toward them.

I think they beat us,” laughed Midge.

I think so too,” said Booker-T.

What are you two doing?” asked Jake when he and Lucy joined them on the sidewalk.

We were coming to your house,” said Booker-T.

We were coming to your house,” laughed Jake. “What do you want to do today?”

I think it is too cold to play in the pond at the park,” said Midge. “Do you want to go to the farm and play?”

That will be fun,” said Lucy. “You guys haven't been to the farm in a little while. Lets go play. We have a new cat at the farm.”

That will be fun,” said Booker-T. “I can have a new cat friend.”

When did you get a new cat at the farm?” asked Midge.

He just walked up and made himself at home in the barn,” said Lucy. “He is a pretty black cat.”

Lets go meet your new friend,” said Booker-T.

The four friends, headed to the farm. They ran across the fields to the barn. Inside the barn, they found a black cat laying on a bed of straw, napping.

Good morning, Midnight,” greeted Lucy.

Midnight, the cat, sat up and smiled at Lucy and her friends.

Hi Midnight,” smiled Booker-T. “I'm Booker-T and this is Midge and Jake.”

Cool name,” smiled Midnight. “How did you get that cool name?”

My mom gave me the name,” smiled Booker-T. “It is a different name.”

Midnight is a cool name too,” said Midge.

I didn't have a name when I came to the farm,” said Midnight.

Who gave you the name?” asked Jake.

Lucy gave me the name,” said Midnight.

Why did you give him the name Midnight?” asked Booker-T.

He was the color of the night,” smiled Lucy. “So I called him Midnight.”

Do you sleep in the barn all the time?” asked Booker-T.

Lucy said her family is moving me into the big house today,” said Midnight. “I never lived in a house before.”

Me too,” said Booker-T. “Midge found me a nice home to live in next door to her.”

It will be nice to have a family to live with,” said Midnight. “I was walking along the roads and found this nice red building here and came in and curled up on the warm straw. These big animals kept checking me out. What are they Lucy?”

They are cows,” said Lucy. “They are our friends and they were checking you out because they didn't know who you are.”

They sure are big,” said Midnight. “I'm just a little guy.”

They will be your friend,” said Lucy. “They won't step on you. I come to the barn and talk to them all the time. Have they talked to you?”

No,” said Midnight.

Come on with us and we will let you meet them,” said Lucy.

Midnight got up and followed Lucy out of the barn into the yard where the cows were standing around and talking.

Hi Betsy and Daisy,” said Lucy. “What are you guys doing?”

We are just standing here resting,” said Daisy.

Did you see our new friend?” asked Midge.

I see,” said Daisy.

Is your friend going to sleep in the barn with us?” asked Betsy.

He is going to come sleep in the house starting today,” smiled Lucy. “His name is Midnight.”

I like that name,” said Daisy. “It is a good name for him.”

Thank you,” said Midnight.

You do talk,” smiled Betsy. “Little Jersey was trying to talk to you this morning, but he said you were sleeping.”

I was scared,” said Midnight. “I pretended to be sleeping. I'm sorry.”

You don't have to be scared of us,” said Daisy. “We are all friends and we like to meet new friends.”

Why were you sleeping in the barn?” asked Betsy.

I didn't have anywhere to sleep and I saw the big red building and the door was open, so I crawled in and found the warm place to sleep,” said Midnight. “Then I saw how big you all were and I got scared.”

Don't be afraid,” said Daisy. “Lucy will take you around the farm to meet everyone.”

Sure,” said Lucy. “You will like everyone here on the farm. You can come with me when I go to see Jake, Midge and Booker-T. I bet Booker-T would like to be your friend so he isn't the only cat in our circle of friends.”

It will be nice to have another cat to talk to,” smiled Booker-T. “I'm one little cat with three dog friends and a bird.”

You have a bird as a friend?” asked Midnight. “I thought cats eat birds.”

I don't,” said Booker-T. “Gabby is a good friend and I'd never eat a friend.”

Our owner will feed us,” said Lucy. “So you won't have to hunt birds.”

We will let you meet Gabby later,” said Jake. “Now, lets go play and meet the other animals on the farm.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T