Friday, March 17, 2023

Midnight Meets the Farm Animals

 

Lucy, with Jake, Midge and Booker-T, walked around the farm introducing Midnight to the other farm animals. She took him to meet the two horses, the bull and the rest of the cows at the barn yard. Near the house was a large pen with 20 chickens.

You have a lot of friends here and they are all very big except for the chickens,” said Midnight. “I will have lot of fun here.”

After meeting all the animals on the farm, they all started running around the farm and laughing and chasing each other. As they ran through the pasture, Midnight looked at Lucy and thanked her for being a good friend. Suddenly, Midnight did a flip and landed in the pond of water in the middle of the pasture.

Midnight!” called Lucy. “What are you doing? It is too cold to go swimming today.

Midnight was moving his legs paddling as hard as he could to the edge of the pond. “The water is cold!”

Why did you jump into the cold water?” asked Midge.

I didn't jump in,” said Midnight. “I was running and landed in the water. What happened?”

Jake looked around the ground and found a big rock hidden in the tall grass. “I think you tripped on the big rock.”

You flew through the air,” smiled Midge. “I always wanted to fly and you did it. But you landed in the water.”

He didn't fly Midge,” laughed Booker-T. “He tripped and did a flip into the water.”

I can't fly, Midge,” said Midnight. “I can only walk or run.”

That's all Midge does too,” said Jake. “But she wants to fly like the birds do. She tried one time.”

You did?” asked Midnight.

I tried,” sighed Midge. “But I fell off the hill.”

How did you fall off the ground,” said Midnight.

I jumped off the hill,” said Midge.

But she didn't fly,” said Jake. “She jumped off the hill and landed on her belly on the ground below.”

I tried flapping my legs and nothing was working,” said Midge. “So I came down very fast and landed on the ground. Gabby told me I don't have wings to fly with.”

Didn't you get hurt?” asked Midnight raising an eyebrow.

I think I hurt my feelings more than my body,” suggested Midge.

She didn't feel too good when she landed on the ground on her belly,” smiled Jake. “She went home and rested all afternoon. She still wanted to fly, but she knew she couldn't fly with the birds.”

She and Lucy like to do things that the humans do,” said Booker-T. “Spending the mornings with them, is lot of fun,” smiled Jake. “You never know what ideas they might come up with to do.”

What kind of things have you all done?” asked Midnight as he sat down near the pond to hear all the neat things they have done.

In the winter time, when there is snow on the ground,” said Midge. “We like to ride the sled down the hill near the school.”

Is that fun?” asked Midnight. “Can I ride the sled with you guys?”

We have to wait now til next winter. No more snow this year.”

We like to go to the park and ride the little train around the park,” said Booker-T. “You will like to ride the train.”

Midge has tried to twirl the hula hoop,” laughed Jake. “But Booker-T and I are the only ones that went round and round. Midge stood and wiggled her hips but never touched the hula hoop.”

How did you go round and round?” asked Lucy. “I didn't hear about that one.”

It is a big round plastic ring and kids stand and wiggle their hips and make the ring go round and round their body and keep it from falling to the ground,” said Jake.

Why did you go round and round?” asked Midnight.

Well,” said Booker-T. “Midge stood on her hind legs and wiggled her hips back and forth and Jake and I held onto the ring and ran around her with the ring. When we let go, it fell to the ground.”

That sounds too hard,” said Lucy.

We go to dog shows, horse shows and go cart races,” said Lucy. “Those are fun to watch, but Midge wants to always try to get into the shows.”

Humans have lots of fun and I want to have fun too,” sighed Midge.

Me too,” said Lucy.

They have so much fun,” said Booker-T. “But I can't do what humans do.”

Midge and Lucy can't either,” said Jake. “But they keep trying.”

Can I have fun with you?” asked Midnight.

Sure,” smiled Midge. “Lucy can bring you with her when she comes to have fun with Jake, Booker-T and I.”

Oh boy, oh boy,” sang Midnight as he hopped around the pond. “I'm going to have fun too.”

His foot slipped on the edge of the pond and Midnight splashed into the pond. He quickly crawled out dripping wet again.

Lets go swimming,” suggested Lucy as she jumped into the pond. “Come on in.”

The others joined Lucy in the pond and splashed around having fun. Suddenly they stopped and looked at each other.

You are in my drinking water,” said a deep voice.

They looked up and there stood the bull.

Oh oh,” said Midge smiling at the bull. “Come on guys, time to go.”

They crawled out of the pond and quickly ran across the field to the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T