Friday, May 9, 2014

Midge Meets the Alien

 The three friends hurried along the sidewalk to the Hamburger joint where the alien was supposed to be giving away hamburgers. As they approached the place, they saw hundreds of people standing along the sidewalk.
“Wow Jake,” said Booker-T. “Look at all those people.”
“Sure are a lot of people,” said Midge. “Why are there so many people out here?”
“They are all looking for that free hamburger,” said Jake. “I think people like that free stuff.”
“Isn't that why we are here?” asked Booker-T. “To try and get a free hamburger too.”
“Do you see the alien?” asked Midge.

“I can't see anything with all these people standing around,” said Jake.
“Lets walk closer and see if he is up there near the door,” said Midge.
“I sure don't like all these people,” said Booker-T. “I don't want to get stepped on.”
“We will be careful Booker-T,” said Jake. “Follow me.”
The three started walking closer to the front of the line, being careful not to get stepped on by someone. Jake led the way. When they neared the front, Jake squeezed between some people to see if anyone stood near the door to the place. He could smell the hamburgers cooking on the grill.
“Don't they smell good?” smiled Jake.
“I want one Jake,” said Midge. “They smell so good I can almost taste them.”
“Me too,” said Booker-T. “Can you see the alien Jake? I can't see back here.”
“Not yet,” said Jake. “No one is out here yet.”
“Do you know if he is inside?” asked Midge.
“I can't see inside from here,” said Jake.
“Wait,” said Booker-T pushing his way through the people. “I'll go peak in the window.”
“Hurry,” said Midge. “I'm hungry.”
“We don't know that he will give us a hamburger Midge,” said Jake. “All we can do it stand there and maybe he will toss us one.”
“He will give us one when he sees how cute I am when I beg,” said Midge. “I just know he will.”
“How can you be so sure?” asked Jake.
“Because everyone thinks I'm cute when I beg,” laughed Midge.
“Oh my goodness,” signed Booker-T. “I bet I can be cute too. How many people have ever seen a cat sit up and beg?”
“Well,” said Jake. “I will have to join you two and beg. Do you know any tricks Midge?”
“Only sitting up and begging,” said Midge. “Do you know any?”
“I know how to roll over and play dead,” said Jake. “I can try that.”
“But they won't give a hamburger to a dead dog,” said Midge.
“I'm only pretending to be dead,” laughed Jake. “And only for a few minutes.. then I will sit and beg again.”
“Think it will work?” asked Booker-T.
“I don't know,” said Jake. “Maybe. Look, here comes the alien with a handful of papers.”
“No hamburgers?” asked Midge.
“No,” said Jake. “Only papers.”
“Why has he got papers?” asked Booker-T. “I thought he was going to give out free hamburgers.”
As the Alien started walking along the line of people, a piece of paper slipped from his hand and floated to the sidewalk. Jake quickly ran to the paper to take a look.
“What is it?” asked Midge.
“I think they call it a coupon,” said Jake.
“What is the coupon for?” asked Midge. “I think I heard my owner talk about coupons before.”
“What are they for?” asked Booker-T.
“Well,” said Jake. “You can get coupons for all kind of things. These are for a hamburger. He is giving them a coupon and then they take the coupon and go inside and turn it in for the free hamburger.”
“We can't use a coupon, Jake,” said Midge. “How will we get a hamburger?”
“I don't think we will get one,” said Jake.
Midge and Jake turned to see where Booker-T was. He was standing at the window with his nose pressed against the glass.
“What are you doing, Booker-T?” asked Midge.
“I'm watching them cooking the hamburgers,” sighed Booker-T. “I really want a hamburger Jake.”
“I know,” said Jake. “We want one too, but we can't use the coupons to get one.”
“Maybe we can,” said Midge picking up the coupon from the sidewalk.
“How are you going to use that?” asked Jake.
“Watch,” said Midge as she followed a woman into the cafe.
No one noticed her as she approached the counter. She leaped onto the stool at the counter.
“Hey!” shouted the young girl behind the counter. “What are you doing in here. Come on, we need to go outside.”
Midge dropped the coupon on the counter and looked at her with big brown eyes.
“Oh my,” laughed the girl. “Where did you get the coupon?”
Midge just looked at her and wagged her tail. The girl took the coupon and picked up a hamburger pattie and coaxed Midge to follow her to the door. Midge followed close behind and waited just outside the door for the hamburger pattie. As the girl set the pattie on the ground, she glanced up and saw Booker-T and Jake standing there. Quickly the two sat up and begged.
“Isn't that cute,” smiled the young girl. “I never saw a cat sit and beg before. Wait here and I'll bring you each a pattie.”
“Midge,” said Jake. “You did it. We each got a nice hamburger pattie.”
“They are good,” said Midge.
“Here you go,” said the young girl handing Booker-T and Jake each a pattie and patting them each on the head. “Now I think you should go home where you belong. Animals aren't allowed in the cafe.”
The three finished their pattie and headed up the sidewalk. “She was nice, Jake,” said Midge.
“Yes she was,” said Booker-T. “She didn't have to give us each a pattie and she did.”
“I hope she don't get into trouble for giving us a pattie,” aid Jake.
“I don't think she will,” said Midge.
“How do you know?” asked Jake.
“I heard her talking to the man who was cooking the burgers,” said Midge. “He is her father.”
“That's good,” smiled Booker-T. “I wouldn't want her to be in trouble for giving us a burger and losing her job.”
“Do you want to go visit Snappy for a while before my owner gets home?” asked Midge.
“I'm tired,” said Jake. “I think I'll go home and nap. We can talk to Snappy tomorrow morning, Okay?”
“Okay Jake,” said Midge. “Do you want to come talk with Snappy, Booker-T?”
“I think I want a nap also,” said Booker-T. “We will visit him in the morning.”
“Okay you guys,” said Midge. “I'll see you in the morning.”
“Bye,” said Jake and Booker-T.
“Bye you guys,” said Midge as she ran around to the back of the house.



--------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T