Thursday, May 22, 2014

What is a Psychic

Booker-T sat in the kitchen with Midge after drinking the water Midge's owner set down for them.
“How did she know I was here?” asked Booker-T.
“I don't know,” said Midge. “Humans do some things that I don't know how they do it.”
“She does other things too?” asked Booker-T.
“Yes,” smiled Midge. “I've seen her do something else and I don't know how she does it.”
“Like what?” inquired Booker-T.
“Well,” said Midge. “When the phone rings, I've heard her say who was on the phone before she picks it up and she is always right.”
“Oh wow!” smiled Booker-T “That's amazing. Do you think she is psychic?”

“What is psychic?” asked Midge. “I never heard of that.”
“It is means someone knows things that others might don't know,” said Booker-T. “She can sense things that are going to happen.”
“How do you know all that?” asked Midge. “I never heard of it.”
“I heard it on TV one night,” replied Booker-T. “My owner was watching some show on TV about a psychic.”
“Maybe she is this psychic,” said Midge. “I wish I was psychic.”
“That would be pretty cool, don't you think?” asked Booker-T.
“I think I would like being a psychic and knowing what was going to happen before it did,” said Midge.
“But how would you feel if you saw something bad was going to happen?” asked Booker-T. “Wouldn't that scare you?”
“I didn't think of that,” said Midge. “Maybe it isn't so good being psychic.”
“Maybe not,” said Booker-T. “I wonder if your owner ever sees bad things before they happen?”
“I don't know,” said Midge. “She don't get upset very much. Maybe she only sees good things.”
“I don't think it works like that,” said Booker-T.
“Are you sure?” asked Midge. “Maybe she blocks out the bad stuff.”
“I guess I really don't know,” said Booker-T. “I don't know anyone who is psychic. We could ask Jake. I think Jake knows a lot of things. Do you want to go see him?”
“Lets go,” said Midge as she headed through the little doggie door.
The two ran along the sidewalk to Jake's house. The ran through the gate and up the steps to the porch where they found Jake napping on the porch swing.
“Hi you two,” said Jake. “What is the hurry?”
“Hi Jake,” smiled Midge. “We want to ask you something.”
“Must be really important for you to come running up here that fast,” said Jake.
“We think it might be important,” said Booker-T.
“Do you know what psychic is?” asked Midge.
“Yes,” said Jake. “It has something to do with people know what is going to happen before it does.”
“Can they block out bad and only see the good things?” asked Booker-T.
“I don't know,” said Jake. “Maybe they can control their minds to only see the good, but I really don't know.”
“Do you think any animals are psychic?” asked Midge.
“I don't know,” said Jake. “I've never met anyone who was yet. But that doesn't mean that their aren't some animals that might be psychic.”
“Would you like to be psychic?” asked Booker-T.
“I don't know if it would be good to know what was going to happen or not,” said Jake.
“Maybe it wouldn't be good to know,” said Midge. “I think it would make you scared to do anything.”
“I like being surprised,” said Booker-T. “I think that is better.”
“Me too,” said Jake. “I think it is kind of cool your owner is psychic Midge.”
“I didn't know that is what she was til this morning,” said Midge.
“What did she do?” asked Jake.
“Booker-T came to the house and he was in the living room and we were talking to Snappy,” said Midge. “When she came downstairs to get ready to leave for work, Booker-T hurried and hid behind the chair and she knew he was there.
“Maybe she saw him run and hide when she came down the stairs,” suggested Jake.
“I don't think she saw me,” said Booker-T. “I hid before she came down.”
“But you aren't sure she didn't see you,” said Jake. “Admit it. You really don't know for sure.”
“I guess I really don't know for sure,” said Midge. “But I don't think she did.”
“Do you want to go see Snappy?” asked Booker-T. “Snappy would be happy to see you.”
“Sure,” smiled Jake. “Come on you two. Lets go see him.”
The three headed to Midge's house to visit Snappy while her owner was at work. Jake and Booker-T followed Midge through the doggie door into the kitchen. They hurried across the room and entered the living room. Jake ran toward the steps that went upstairs.
“Where are you going Jake?” asked Midge as she leaped into the chair beside Snappy's tank.
“Am just going over here a minute,” said Jake.
“Why?” asked Booker-T. “I don't think you should go upstairs.”
“I'm not,” said Jake. “I'm just going here on the steps.”
“You're weird Jake,” said Midge. “Why do you want to stand on the steps?”
“Look over there on the wall,” said Jake pointing toward the wall near the door.
Midge looked at the wall and back at Jake.
“What do you see on the wall over there?” asked Jake.
Booker-T walked over to the wall and sat staring at it. “Oh no,” said Booker-T. “Midge, your owner saw me in the mirror when she started down the stairs.”
“Oh my,” laughed Midge. “She really isn't psychic. She just saw you in the mirror.”
“She might still be psychic,” said Booker-T.
“Why?” asked Jake.
“Tell Jake what else she can do,” said Booker-T.
“When the phone rings, she will always say something like, 'I wonder what Joan wants,' and then she picks up the phone to talk to Joan,” said Midge. “If she wasn't psychic, how does she know who is calling on the phone when it rings?”
“It's called Caller ID,” said Jake.
“Caller ID?” asked Midge. “What is Caller ID?”
“When the phone rings, the name of the person shows on the phone,” said Jake. “My owner has one of those things on her phone.”
“Oh wow,” said Midge. “I wondered how she always knew who was on the phone.”
“Most things can be explained,” said Jake. “There are some people who have the psychic gift, but I don't think your owner does. She is nice, but not a psychic.”
“I'm happy she is a normal person,” said Midge.
“And she is nice,” said Booker-T.
“I think so too,” smiled Midge.
Jake jumped down from the steps and leaped into the chair beside Midge. “Hi Snappy.”
“Hi there Jake,” smiled Snappy. “You are smart.”
“I just see things at my house,” said Jake. “And I remember what I see and hear.”
“That's good,” said Snappy.
The three friends sat huddled in the chair together as they talked with Snappy. Midge was happy that they all were relaxing and enjoying the day together. “Jake is so smart,” thought Midge.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T