Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Midge and the Change

   Midge skipped along the sidewalk while she sang a happy little tune.  She hurried around the corner and through the gate at Jake's house.  She leaped up the steps to the porch where Jake was napping on the big lounge chair in the corner.  "Hey Jake!" sang Midge.  "It's time to wake up now.  Your good friend Midge is here to see you."
   "Hi Midge," said Jake.  "You are sure in a good mood this morning."
   "I know," said Midge.  "Don't you love it?"
   "It's great," said Jake.  "But you are always in a good mood but this morning you are even singing. What is up with you this morning?"

   "Do you see anything different this morning?" asked Midge. 
  Jake looked at Midge and walked around her and then walked around her the other direction.  He stepped back and stared at her.  "Nope," said Jake.  "You look the same as you always do Midge.  What am I supposed to see that is different?"
   "Oh Jake,"  said Midge.  "You guys never notice anything.  Booker-T didn't know either."
   "You look the same Midge," said Jake.  "You still have the same collar on so sorry, I don't see anything that is different."
   "Well, maybe I just won't tell you," said Midge.  "You don't notice it anyway."
   "I'm sorry Midge," said Jake.  "I really don't see what is different.  You look the same Midge.  I guess we guys don't notice things that are only slightly changed."
   "I guess so," said Midge.  "My mistress gave me a haircut yesterday afternoon and gave me a bath."
   "Oh okay," said Jake. "Sorry Midge, I still don't see the difference.  I guess I never paid any attention to your hair before. It really isn't that much shorter than it was before.  I can't see the difference in it now from what it was yesterday morning."
   "Okay Jake," said Midge.  "Lets forget it."
   "Okay," said Jake.  "I am sorry I didn't notice it.  You smell really pretty this morning."
   "Thank you Jake,"  said Midge.  "My mistress got some pretty smelling soap for my bath.  I smell like a flower, don't I Jake?"
   "Yes you do," said Jake.  "You smell really nice today."
   "Well, I guess that is one thing you noticed," said Midge.  "Thank you for that much."
   "I don't want to smill like a flower," said Jake.  "I hope my mistress doesn't buy that soap.  I like the smell of bones instead of flowers.  Do you think they make soap that smells like bones?"
   "I don't think so Jake," said Midge.  "Your mistress might not like you smelling like bones."
   "I guess she probably wouldn't," said Jake.  "She doesn't like it when I come in the house smelling like dirt when I roll around in it."
   "Mine mistress doesn't like it either," said Midge.  "That is why I got a bath yesterday afternoon."
   "You smelled like dirt too?" asked Jake.  "I got a bath last night because she didn't like how I smelled.  She started to pet me and said I couldn't get up on her bed without getting a bath first."
   "Yes, my mistress didn't want me on her bed either without first getting a bath.  It did feel good to get washed up and I like the flower smell much better than the dirt."
   "It is pretty, but I don't want to smell like a flower," said Jake.  "I just smell clean."
   "While my hair was wet, she trimmed it up and combed out the tangles," said Midge.  "It hurt sometimes when she couldn't get my comb through the hair."
    "I'm glad I have really short hair," said Jake. "I wouldn't like that."
   "I know," said Midge.  "It hurts sometimes when she tries to comb me.  But it feels good when she finishes.  Now my hair is so soft and shiny and smells like flowers."
   "It looks nice Midge," said Jake.
   "What looks nice?" asked Booker-T as he leaped up onto the porch.
  "Hi Booker-T," said Midge. 
   "Hi," said Jake.  "Midge got a bath and haircut yesterday afternoon.  Don't you think she looks nice?"
   "She always looks nice Jake," said Booker-T.  "And wow, you smell like flowers this morning too."
  "My mistress got some new soap for me and it smells so pretty," said Midge. 
   "I like it," said Booker-T. 
   "But you don't notice anything else do you?" asked Jake.
  "No," said Booker-T as he walked around Midge.  "Nothing else is different is it?"
   "Wrong answer Booker-T," said Jake. 
   "Never mind Jake," said Midge.  "I know you guys don't see a small change."
   "What changed Midge?" asked Jake.
   "I got a haircut yesterday also," said Midge. 
   "Oh, okay," said Booker-T.  "You are right. I don't see the change.  Sorry Midge."
   "It is okay," said Midge.  "Lets go play at the  park."
   "Now that is a good idea," said Jake as he and Booker-T followed Midge down the steps and across the yard.
   "
  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T