Saturday, September 3, 2011

Midge Loves the Rain

   “Midge!” called Jake as he hurried up the sidewalk to the front porch. “Where are you?  Are you sleeping up there?”
   “Hi Jake,” said Midge.  “No, I’m not sleeping. What are you doing walking in the rain?”
   “Is that why you didn’t come over to the house this morning?  It's raining.” asked Jake.  “I thought maybe you were sick so I walked over to see how you were doing?”
   “It was raining really hard earlier Jake,” said Midge.  “So I thought I would wait to see if the rain would lighten up before I walked over there.”

   “Since when do you stay home when it is raining?  I've never seen you stay out of the rain,” asked Jake.  “You always love playing in the rain.  The only one who really doesn’t like it is Booker-T.”
   “My mistress gave me a bath this morning so I thought I better not go in the rain today,” said Midge.  “She might not be happy with me if I go out there and get dirty same morning of my bath.  It was hard to sit here and watch that wonderful rain going to waste while I sat here watching it.  I wanted to get out there and play in it.”
   “I thought we were going to play with Snappy at the park,” said Jake.  "He is going to wonder what happened to us."
   “I’m sorry Jake,” said Midge.  “I really want to go play. I love playing in the rain and wading through the puddles along the street, but I better wait Jake.”
   “Okay,” said Jake.  “I will wait here with you.  Maybe it will quit raining soon. I heard my mistress telling someone that it wasn't supposed to rain all day.”
   “I hope so Jake,” said Midge.  “But I really want to go out there and run around through the raindrops.  It always feels so good on a hot day.”
   "I know," said Jake.  "If you stay away from the dirty puddles and just walk in the rain, it should be okay.  The rain coming down from the sky is clean."
   Midge stared out into the rain and thought about that for a moment. "You are right Jake," said Midge. "The rain is clean.  I didn't think about that."
   "That's right," said Jake.  "So just walking in the rain won't get you dirty."
   "Okay," said Midge all excited.  "Come on, lets go walk in the rain. I'm sure wanting to be out there in it."
   Midge jumped off the porch into the rain and danced around the yard.enjoying every drop that hit her. 
   "Watch out for that puddle Midge," said jake.  "Or you will end up dirty."
   "I forgot about the puddle," said Midge as she fell into the middle of it.  "Oh Jake!  I'm going to be in trouble."
    "Your mistress will understand Midge," said Jake.  "You aren't too dirty.  Lets walk to the park and the rain will wash you off."
    "Okay Jake," said Midge as the two started walking to the park.  By the time they reached the park, the rain had washed off the small amount of dirt from the puddle. 
    "Look Midge," said Jake.  "The dirt is gone now."
    "You are so smart Jake," said Midge.  "I'm clean again."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T