Friday, August 12, 2011

Midge and the Fireworks

  “Jake! Jake!”  screamed Midge as she ran up the sidewalk to the porch.  “Jake!  Where are you?”
   “Hey Midge,” called Jake from the back yard. “Why all the excitement?  What happened?
   “Do you know what fireworks are?” asked Midge. 
   “Yeah,” said Jake.  “I went to see some last year with my mistress. They are pretty when then go up in the air and have all the pretty colors.”
   “My mistress said they are going to have fireworks in the park,” said Midge.  “Are you going to be there?”
   “I don’t know,” said Jake.  “My mistress hasn’t said anything about it to her friend.  She usually takes her little niece and nephew.  I hope she is going. I like the pretty fireworks.”

   “I haven't heard my mistress talking abou them either,” said Midge. “I have never seen them before. Do you want to go watch tonight?”
   “Sure,” said Jake.  “If my mistress doesn’t take me with her, we can go watch by ourselves. Can you go out at night after dark?  I didn't think you could leave the yard after it got dark.” 
   “Yeah, I can get out.  She won't know.” asked Midge.  "Are the fireworks fun?"
   “Yes, they are nice,” said Jake.  “But they are loud.”
   “Loud?” asked Midge.  “What do you mean loud?”
   “When they shoot them into the air, they make a loud booming noise,” said Jake.  "They sound like a really loud thunder."
   “Oh is that scary?” asked Midge.  "I don't like real loud noises.  You know some of the thunders in a storm make me jump.  I will be scared of the loud booms."
   “It is a little scary at first until you get used to the noise,” said Jake. “I jumped a few times when they boomed.  Some of them boom louder than others do, but you will love the pretty colors and patterns of them when they shoot them up into the air.”
   “Okay,” said Midge.  “I’m so excited.  I want to see them. I heard the kids talking about them.  What time do they do they do the fireworks?”
   “They wait until it gets dark so you can see them in the dark sky,” said Jake.
   “Oh, okay,” said Midge as she started down the steps.  "I'll come back tonight after it gets dark outside."
   "Where are you going?" asked Jake.  "I thought we were going to the park to play."
   "I have to take a nap Jake," said Midge. 
  "You can take a nap after lunch," said Jake.  "Come on to the park right now.  Booker-T is supposed to be there waiting for us."
  "Oh okay," said Midge.  "I guess I can do that.  I'll take nap after lunch."
  The two hurried along the sidewalk and into the park to find Booker-T. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T