Sunday, May 22, 2011

Booker-T Needs a Family


   “Jake!” called Booker-T as he strolled up the sidewalk to the front porch where Jake was enjoying the morning sun.
   “Hey there Booker-T.  What are you doing so early in the morning?” asked Jake.  “You aren’t usually out and about the neighborhood until later in the day.”
   “I was roaming around waiting to see Midge,” answered Booker-T.  “I thought she might be here with you this morning.”
   “She usually is here, but I haven’t seen her yet this morning,” said Jake.  “What is up with Midge this morning?  Why are you looking for her so early?”
   “She said something about finding me a family to live with,” answered Booker-T. 
   “I remember. She doesn’t like to see you without a home to go to,” said Jake.  “Especially when it is so cold outside.  She is afraid you will freeze out there on the sidewalk behind the café.”
   “I like it out there on my own,” said  Booker-T. 
   “Now, come on Booker-T, wouldn’t you like a nice warm home to get in out of the cold weather?” asked Jake.  “It’s so nice to have a good home to go into and a nice person to take care of you.”
    “I guess it might be nice,” said Booker-T.  “But who wants an old cat.”
    “You know it would be nice,” said Jake.  “And if anyone can find you a good home, it would be Midge.  She won’t give up either until she has you a nice place with a good family. I"m sure there is someone out there who would love to have an older cat.  Maybe an older person who wants a nice companion.”
    “I guess I can humor her and let her think I’m excited,” said Booker-T.  “I know she means well, but I've lived for long time on the streets.  I would feel strange living in a house.”
    “You will love laying in front of the nice warm fire in the evenings,” said Jake. "And having regular meals and a nice person to pet you when you are going to sleep or when you just want to be rubbed.  And a bowl of milk would be nice once in a while too."  
    “It might be nice,” said Booker-T.  “It does get cold huddled in a corner trying to stay warm.”
    Jake smiled as Booker-T jumped onto the porch chair and curled up to wait for Midge.
   "Midge will keep looking until she finds you a nice place," said Jake.  "You will adjust to living in a home with someone who will care for you." 
   Booker-T nodded his head in agreement with Jake.  Inside his brain, Booker-T knew that Jake was right.  He really did wish to have a home. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T