Sunday, May 29, 2011

Jake Measures the Yard

    Booker-T came up the sidewalk to where Jake was pacing by the tree in the front yard. “What are you doing Jake, my boy?  Why are you pacing back and forth in the front yard here?”
   “Hi ya Booker-T,” answered Jake. “I’m trying to measure the distance from this tree over to the fence post over there.’’ 
   “What for?” asked Booker-T with a puzzled look on his face. “Why are you measuring the yard?”

   “Well, I heard my mistress telling someone that she was going to get a 12 foot swimming pool and I was trying ti figure out how big 12 foot was.”
   “Oh,” said Booker-T looking puzzled.  “Did you figure it out?”
   “Well, I am not sure.  It sure isn’t too big though,” said Jake.  “I don’t know why they want one that small.”
   “What do you mean?” asked Booker-T.  “How big is it going to be?”
   “Well, I stepped off 12 feet and it is only from here to here,” pointed Jake.
   “Wow, that sure is small,” said Booker-T.  “Wonder why they would want a swimming pool that is so small?”
    “I am not sure,” answered Jake.  “Maybe they just want to use to stand in and cool off their feet.”
   “Hey there you guys,” said Gabby as he flew down from the tree top.  “What are you two characters up to this morning?”
   “Hi Gabby,” said Booker-T.  “Well, Jake was trying to figure out how big a 12 foot swimming pool would be.”
   “Why?” asked Gabby.
   “My mistress was telling someone that she was going to put in a 12 foot swimming pool here in the yard and I was trying to figure out how big that is,” said Jake.
    “She’s putting it here in the front?” asked Gabby. 
    “No, she wants it in the back,” said Jake.  “I was just trying to measure the distance out here.”
    “What did you use to measure it with?” asked Gabby.
    “I stepped it off like I heard my mistress tell someone to do it,” said Jake.
    “Oh, no!” laughed Gabby.
    “What is so funny?” asked Jake.  “I heard that is the way you measure something if you don’t have a ruler.”
    “Right,” said Gabby.  “But you forget, her feet are bigger than your feet.”
    “No wonder it wasn’t coming out very big,” said Jake sitting down.
    Booker-T and Gabby rolled in the yard laughing.
   “What are you laughing at Booker-T?” asked Jake.  “You didn’t know either.”
   “Sorry Jake,” said Booker-T.  “It is funny when you think about it. Measuring with your little feet compared to a human foot.”
   The three sat there laughing over the little swimming pool Jake thought was going to be put in the yard. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T