Sunday, May 22, 2011

Midge is Sad

“Hi Jake,” said Midge as she slowly walked up the front porch steps.
   “What is wrong with you this morning?” asked Jake.  “You seem so very sad today.  Are you okay?”
   “I’m okay,” said Midge.  “I just miss Susie.”
   “Where is Susie?” asked Jake.
   “She went away to school.  She left yesterday and I sure miss her already.  She won’t be home for about three months.  What am I going to do?”
   “Come on and smile, Midge.  Before you know it, the three months will be gone and she will be home,” said Jake.
   “I just don’t feel like smiling today,” said Midge.
   “Well, how about if I make you laugh,” smiled Jake.  “I don’t want to see you so sad.”
    “Oh, no.  Why would you want to make me laugh?” asked Midge.
    “Don’t you know?” asked Jake.  “They say laughter is the best medicine when you are feeling sad. I sure hate to see you looking so sad Midge, and I want to cheer you up.”
    “Okay, I will try not to look so sad.  I guess I will get used to her being away in school.  I enjoyed playing with her when she came to visit my mistress on the weekends.”
    “You will still get to see her.  It just won’t be as often.  Come on and smile Midge, it will be okay,”  said Jake.  “You can look forward to her coming home for visits.”
    “You are right, Jake,” said Midge.  “I will try and feel better.  I probably do need a little laugher right now to cheer up.   Thanks Jake.”
    “Sure,” said Jake.  “You are welcome.  You know I care.”
    Midge smiled at Jake. 
    “There is a smile,” said Jake.  “That is better.”
    "I know you are right," said Midge.  "She will be home soon."
    "You just need to stay busy while she is away," said Jake.  "When you are busy, the time will pass quickly and you won't miss her as much."
    "I will stay busy," said Midge.  "But I will still miss her just as much.  I just won't think about it as often if I'm busy."
    "Yes, you are right," said Jake.  "Let's go to the park and see what Snappy is doing today."
   Midge smiled and the two friends walked to the park to find Snappy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T