Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Jake Babysits

   "Jake! Yoo Hoo, Jake!" called Midge as she came strolling up the sidewalk to the porch.  "What are you doing this morning?"
   "I'm back here in the back yard!" called Jake as he peeked around the corner of the house.
   "What are you doing back there?" asked Midge as she started walking toward the back yard.
   "I am guarding this little kitten that my mistress brought home this morning," answered Jake.
   "And why are you guarding it?" asked Midge.
   "Well, she is such a fragile little thing and I didn't want her to get hurt out here in this big back yard all by herself."
   "Jake! A babysitter for a kitten!" snickered Midge.  "Who would have thought?"
   "Very funny Midge.  Aren't you the big joker!" said Jake.
   "Now, don't get your collar in a knot," said Midge.  "I'm only having fun with you.  I know you don't mind watching the little one."

   "Come on and sit with me while I watch her," said Jake.
   Midge jumped up into the big lounge chair and curled up.  "Is she the one who was here a few months ago?"
   "Yes,  she is the same one.  Her mistress went out of town again for a couple of days and sent her home with my mistress to watch," said Jake.
   "She sure is a cutie," smiled Midge.  "but she is so tiny compared to Booker-T."
  "Oh, right!  Compare the poor little thing to Booker-T.  Booker-T is a big tomcat and comes from a different line of cats than this little thing."
   "Okay Jake.  I didn't mean anything by it.  They are both cats and I can see she is really tiny and fragile compared to Booker-T, who is big and strong.
   "That's true, but this little one is just a kitten and is a little girl and Booker-T is all grown up and is a boy," said Jake.
   "Okay, okay," said Midge.  "When she goes inside, do you want to go find Booker-T and see if he wants to go to the park to play?"
   "Sure," answered Jake.  "She should be going inside soon.  My mistress doesn't leave her out here too long at one time."
   Midge smiled and laid her head on her paws and watched the little kitten running after a butterfly that flew next to her head. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T