Saturday, May 28, 2011

Midge Can’t Find Jake

   “Jake!” called Midge as she sauntered up the sidewalk to the front porch.
   She got to the porch and looked around, but didn’t see Jake anywhere.  “Jake!” called Midge again.
   Still there was no answer from Jake.  Midge wondered where he was this morning.  He was always lounging on the front porch when she came over, but this morning he was no where to be seen.  She hurried down the steps of the porch and ran to the back yard. Across the yard to the garage, she could see his bowl but no Jake.

    She ran to the back of the garage thinking he might be hiding his bones back there.  No Jake.  Midge just stood there looking around but Jake never appeared.  She slowly walked back to the front and climbed the porch steps to the porch.  She sat for a moment staring at the front door.
   “Jake!” called Midge again. 
    She turned and walked down the steps of the porch and slowly walked to the sidewalk.  On the corner, she spotted Booker-T.  “Hi Booker-T,” said Midge.  “Have you seen Jake this morning?  He isn’t coming out this morning.  Do you know if he is okay?”
    “Hi Midge.  He must be in one of his secret places today,” answered Booker-T.
    “He has secret places?” asked Midge.  "I didn't know that.  He never told me he had a secret place to go to."
    “Oh, sure,” don’t you have one?” asked Booker-T.  "I have one I use once in a while.  I  go there when I'm stressed or upset."
    “No, I don’t have one,” said Midge.  “Do you go there very often?”
    “Sure. I go there when I want to have some quiet time away from all the noises of the neighborhood,” said Booker-T.  "And when I just want to be alone for a while."
    “Do you know where Jake’s secret places are?” asked Midge. 
    “No.  He won’t tell anyone where they are,” said Booker-T.  “He says he goes there when it has been a stressful day and to be alone.  He and his mistress must have had a rough morning for him to go hide.  That is usually why he goes there.  She must have scolded him about something.”
    “I hope that Jake will be okay,” said Midge.  "He usually never does anything to upset his mistress.  Wonder what he did if that's the reason he went to hide for a while."
    “I am sure he will be home soon.  He doesn’t go there for very long,” said Booker-T, trying to reassure Midge, who seemed worried that Jake had to go somewhere to hide. 
   “I will come back later and see if he has come back,” said Midge.
   “Okay,” said Booker-T.  “Are you going home?”
   “No, I think I will go to the park and find Snappy and hang out with him for a while,”  said Midge.  "Maybe Jake will be at the park."
   “Do you mind if I come along?” asked Booker-T.  "I was looking for Jake too."
   “No, I don't mind if you want to come," said Midge.  "Let's go."
   The two ran up the street to the park to find Snappy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T