Monday, June 13, 2011

Booker-T and the Ghost

   “Hey Jake!” called Booker-T as he came running around the corner and slid on he sidewalk as he came through the gate.
   “Slow down Booker-T,” said Jake.  “What is the hurry?”
   “Did you know that there is a ghost haunting that house on the corner over there by Sam’s Café?” asked Booker-T.
    “What are you talking about?” asked Jake.  “There is no ghost in the house over there.”
    “How do you know that Jake?” asked Booker-T.

    “Because there is no such thing as a ghost,” said Jake.
    “There is now!” said Booker-T.  “I heard it!”
    “Are you crazy?” asked Jake.  “There is no such thing as a ghost.  How could you hear something that doesn’t exist?”
    “Oh, yes there is,” said Booker-T. “I heard it with my own two ears, just as plain as I hear you now.”
    “And what did it sound like?” asked Jake.
    “I heard it howl,” said Booker-T.  “It was a real eerie sound.  I’m telling you there is a ghost now haunting that house. I used to slip in through the bottom boards on the window and sleep in there when the weather was bad out before I got my new home.  I went in there last night to try and find some mice and I heard it howling.”
     “It was probably the wind blowing through some of the holes in that place,” said Jake.
     “No Jake,” said Booker-T.  “No, it was a ghost.”
     “Did you see the ghost?” asked Jake.
     “I sure did,” said Booker-T.  “It was white.  He was a small ghost, but he was a ghost just the same.”
     “Well, I guess if you are going to be a ghost, white is a good color for him,” laughed Jake.
   “You think I’m crazy, don’t you Jake?” asked Booker-T.  “I’m not crazy. I really did hear and see that ghost in the house.”
   “Of course I don’t think you are crazy,” said Jake.  “I just don’t know what you really heard or saw. There just is no such thing as a ghost.  You should know that.”
   From the back of the house, Jake could hear someone laughing uncontrollably.  He started to walk toward the backyard with Booker-T following behind.  Before he could reach the back, Midge came around the corner and was laughing so hard that she could hardly speak. 
    “What is going on here?” asked Booker-T. “What is so funny Midge?”
    “Your ghost was Gabby,” said Midge.  “He was trying to scare you.”
    “Well, it worked!” screamed Booker-T.  “That was mean.”
    “Yeah it was, but you fell for it all the way,” said Midge. “I thought you knew that there are no ghosts.”
    “I thought I knew there aren’t ghosts, but then I heard and saw that one and thought for sure someone didn’t know that there really are ghosts,” said Booker-T. 
    “There are no ghosts Booker-T.  Gabby was just playing with you,” said Midge.
    “Well, can we go play something safer?” asked Booker-T.
     “Sure,” said Midge.  “Want to go to the park with Jake and I?”
     “Okay,” said Booker-T. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T