Monday, June 20, 2011

Midge is Grounded

   “Hey Midge!” called Jake as he ran up the sidewalk to her front porch.  
   Midge was laying on the chair beside the front door soaking up the sun and slowly raised her head when Jake approached.  “Hi Jake,” replied Midge.
  “What are you doing this morning?” asked Jake.  “I missed you.  I thought we were going to the park this morning to play with Booker-T and Snappy, but you never came to my house like you usually do.”

  “My mistress won’t let me leave the yard today,” said Midge feeling very sad that she can’t go with Jake.
  “Why?” asked Jake.  “What did you do this time?”
  “Well, she kept saying something about conformity.  I won’t conform to her rules she said.  Something like that Jake,” said Midge.
   “What does that mean Midge?” asked Jake.
   “I don’t know,” said Midge. “I wonder if Booker-T or Gabby knows what it means.”
   “I’ll bet Booker-T knows,” said Jake. “He always knows everything.”
   “So does Gabby,” said Midge.
   “This is true,” said Jake.  “And Gabby gets around more than Booker-T.”
   In a few minutes they saw Booker-T coming around the corner and he wandered up the sidewalk to the porch.  “Hey you guys!  Where have you been?  I went to the park and have been waiting on you over there.  I thought we were going to play.”
   “Midge can’t leave the yard today,” said Jake.  “Something to do with conformity she didn’t do.  Do you know what that means Booker-T?”
   “Oh, yes,” said Booker-T.  “I sure do.  I’ve heard it often enough.  They want her to do what they say and to follow their rules and not what she wants to do.  Did you do something wrong Midge?”
   “I must have,” said Midge. “They are upset with me.”
   “Do you remember what you did?” asked Jake.
   “I came into the kitchen with mud on my feet and put little footprints all over the clean floor,” said Midge.  “She pushed me back out the door and put the garden hose on me all the while telling me about conformity.”
  “Yep,” said Booker-T.  “You have to follow their rules, not yours. That is what they call conforming.  As long as you conform to their rules, you will be fine. No more problems.”
   “Oh, I can do that,” said Midge.  “I can come play tomorrow.  You guys can go to the park without me today.”
   “No that is okay Midge. We will stay and keep you company,” said Jake.
   “Oh thank you Jake,” said Midge.
   “That is okay,” said Jake. “What are friends for?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T