Friday, June 10, 2011

What Happened to Jorge

   “Hey Jake!” called Booker-T as he rounded the corner of the house.
   “What are you doing this morning?” asked Jake.
   “I was out chasing down mice again. Found a couple out by the old wood pile behind the garage,” answered Booker-T.
   “Did you get them?” asked Jake.
   “Sure did,” answered Booker-T.
   “Hey Jake!” called Midge as she came scurrying up the sidewalk.
   “We are back here in the back yard Midge,” called Jake.
   “Hi you two. Did you hear the news?” asked Midge.

   “What news?” asked Jake.
   “The news about Jorge,” said Midge.
   “Who is Jorge?” asked Booker-T.  “I don’t remember him.”
    “Jorge was the guy up the street who liked to talk to the kids every afternoon.  Only his closest friends knew he’d actually been dead for six months,” ranted Midge.  “Some nut case set him up in a big chair in front of the picture window of his house.  Can you believe it?  For six months he was sitting there and everyone thought he was watching the kids out of the window. But no!  He was dead already.  Can you believe that?”
   “Who told you a crazy story like that?” asked Jake. 
   “I heard my mistress talking about it to someone on the phone,” answered Midge.
   “I think someone is pulling her leg if they told her that crazy story.  Surely she didn’t believe them,” said Booker-T.
   “I don’t know,” said Midge.  “I just don’t know. I only saw Jorge once when I walked past his house.  He was sitting in the window.”
   “When was that Midge?” asked Jake.
   “Two weeks ago, I think,” said Midge.  “And now they say he has been dead for six months.”
   “I don’t know.  It all sounds weird to me.  Maybe it was just a dummy of him sitting there,” said Booker-T.  “Why would someone set him in a chair when he was dead?”
   “Yeah, that is it.  Someone must have put a dummy that looked like Jorge in the window to fool people,” said Midge.  “But why?”
   “Who knows why the humans do some of the things that they do,” said Jake.
   “That’s right Midge,” said Booker-T.  “Humans do strange things once in a while.”
   “I guess you are right,” said Midge.  “Maybe it was a dummy in the window.”
   “Why would someone put a dummy in the window and make it look like Jorge?” asked Jake.
   “I don’t know, but they must have done it if he is dead,” said Midge.
   Gabby flew into the back yard, “What is all the discussion about?”
   “Remember that guy they called Jorge?” asked Midge.  “He was some big conversationalist over in the big house on the corner.”
   “Oh sure,” said Gabby.  “I know who that is. I see him sitting in the window every morning when I fly by the house.”
  “Well, did you know he is dead?” asked Midge.  “And he has been dead for six months.”
   “No, that isn’t true,” said Gabby.  “It can’t be true.  I just saw him in the window yesterday.”
  “Well, it has to be a dummy,” said Midge.  “I just heard that he has been dead for six months and only his closest friends knew it.” 
   “You are kidding me, right?” asked Gabby.
   “No, she isn’t,” said Jake.
   “But why would someone go to all that trouble to put a dummy of the guy in the front window?” asked Booker-T.
   “I don’t know.  Humans are weird,” said Jake.
   “That’s for sure,” said Booker-T.  “If they did that, they are more than just weird.”
   "Lets forget about Jorge and go play in the park," said Jake. 
   They all agreed and walked over to the park.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T