Sunday, June 26, 2011

Butch is at it Again

  “Jake!  Jake!  Where are you?” called Midge as she rounded the corner and ran through the gate and up the sidewalk to the porch. 
   Jake came running around the corner of the house from the backyard.  “What is all the excitement Midge?”
   “Have you seen Booker-T?” asked Midge.
   “No,” answered Jake. “What is the problem?”
   “His juvenile delinquent friend is the problem!” shouted Midge.
   “Oh, dear,” said Jake.  “What did Butch do this time?”

   “Maybe you should ask me what he didn’t do,” said Midge. “That would be a lot less to cover.”
   “I just don’t know what Booker-T is going to do with him,” said Jake.  “He is always into something. So are you going to tell me what he did this time?”
  “How long do you have?” sneered Midge.
  “Aren’t we a bit testy this morning,” said Jake.
  “You would be too Jake. I’m so mad at him,” said Midge. “When I got up this morning, my water dish had a fish in it.  My food dish had rocks in it and my dog house was a big pile of torn up papers all over it.”
  “Are you sure it was Butch who did theses things?” asked Jake. “You don’t want to accuse him of it unless you know for sure.”
   “He is nothing but a little delinquent Jake,” said Midge.  Who else would do such a thing to me?”
   “Well,” said Jake trying to think of something to say to Midge.  “I guess no one else would do those things.”
   “That’s right, you can’t think of anyone else who would do those things,” said Midge.
    “Well, maybe he was trying to play some kind of joke on your Midge,” said Jake. “I don’t think he is deliberately mean to you.”
   “Hey you two,” said Booker-T as he approached the porch.  “What is all the huff and puff about this morning?”
   “Your friend Butch,” said Midge. “He is nothing but a delinquent. Is he ever nice to anyone?”
   “Sure he is Midge,” said Booker-T.  “What did he do?”
   “He put a fish in my water, rocks in my food and torn up papers all over the inside of my dog house,” said Midge.  “He is nothing but a menace to the neighborhood.”
   “He is only being mischievous Midge,” said Booker-T.  “He isn’t really a delinquent.  Honest he isn’t.  Don’t be too hard on him. I will have a talk with him.”
   “Why does he keep doing these things?” asked Jake.
   “He is just a little mischievous and has fun doing them.  He really doesn’t mean any harm to anyone,” said Booker-T. “Come on and we will go find him and let him know that you don’t like what he did.  I’m sure he will say he is sorry.”
   As they started down the sidewalk, they saw Butch coming up the alley to Jake’s house.  Midge got behind the chair on the porch and crotched down to hide.  Jake and Booker-T didn’t notice that Midge backed away from them and hid. 
   “What are you up to Butch?” asked Booker-T.
   “Oh, nothing much,” said Butch.
   “What have you been doing this morning?” asked Jake. “Into anything you shouldn’t be?”
   “Why no Booker-T,” said Butch.  “Why?  What would I get into?”
   “Have you seen Midge today?” asked Jake.
   “Well, no, I haven’t seen her in a couple of days,” said Butch hesitating slightly when answering.
   “Come on up here on the porch. I want to discuss this delinquency of yours Butch. You can’t keep going around doing mean things to Midge.  She is really mad at you right now,” said Booker-T.
   Butch jumped onto the porch and was about to take himself a seat on the big chair by the front door.  As he leaped up, the chair was pulled back and Butch hit the floor with a sudden  thud. 
  “Ouch!” yelled Butch.
   “That serves you right for what you did to me,” said Midge jumping out from behind the chair. 
   Jake and Booker-T laughed at the sight of Butch hitting the floor with a thud. 
   “You had that coming Butch,” said Booker-T.
   “I’m sorry Midge,” said Butch rubbing his rear end as he limped over to the low chair. “I was only having fun with you.”
   “Okay,” said Midge.  “We can have fun without you making a mess of my things.  Don’t do that anymore.”
   “All right, I won’t be such a delinquent, as you call it, anymore,” laughed Butch. “It was fun though.”
   Midge jumped up and pushed over the chair and laughed as Butch rolled off the porch into the rose bush. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T