Monday, June 6, 2011

Midge is Confused

  “Hey Jake!” called Midge as she ran along the sidewalk leading up to the front porch where she saw Jake sleeping in the lounge chair.  “Hey Jake!”
  Jake lifted his head and shook away the sleep.  “Why are you so excited this morning Midge?”
  “Oh, Jake, I just heard that someone named Misty is going to sojourn in our house,” said Midge.
 “What in the world is sojourn?  It sounds like it’s bad,” said Jake with a puzzled look. “I have never heard that word before.  What are you talking about?”

  “I don’t know,” stated Midge.  “I was really hoping that you knew what it was.  I heard my mistress talking to someone on the phone last night and she was saying that Misty could sojourn with us for a while.  But I don’t know what she is talking about.”
   “I never heard of it before either,” said Jake.  “We could go ask Gabby.  You know Gabby, he hears and sees all kinds of things.  He might know what it is.”
    “Come on, lets go find Gabby and find out if he knows,” said Midge.
   Jake and Midge walked along the sidewalk to the park.  They stopped quickly and looked both ways to be sure no cars were coming and then ran across the street into the park.  As they entered the park, the two started shouting in unison for Gabby.
   “Gabby!  Gabby!  Where are you?” called Midge and Jake.
   “Are you here somewhere Gabby?” called Jake.
   “What are you two shouting about?” asked Gabby as he landed on the tree limb just above the two. “They can probably hear you two all the way to Spain.”
   “Midge wants to ask you something Gabby,” said Jake.
   “What is going on Midge?” asked Gabby. 
   “I heard my mistress talking to someone this morning about someone named Misty might be going to sojourn at our house for a while.  I want to know what the word sojourn means.  I never heard it before,” said Midge.  “Do you know what it means, Gabby.”
   “Let me see,” said Gabby. “Yes, I heard someone talking about that one day.  It means that someone is going to temporarily stay somewhere. This Misty person must be going to stay with you for a while.”
   “Oh,” said Midge with a strange look on her face.  “Why don’t they just say that the person is coming to stay? Why use those strange words to say it?”
   “I don’t know,” said Jake. “I agree.  Why not just say they are coming to stay.”
   “Well, some of these highly educated people like to use these strange big words when they talk.  It makes them appear really knowledgeable about things,” stated Gabby. 
   “Why can’t they be easy and simple to understand like we are?  Isn’t that right, Jake?” asked Midge. 
  “Wow, you are sure right with this one,” said Jake.
   Gabby laughed as Midge and Jake headed back to the house.  “Bye Gabby,” said Midge.  “Thanks for the information.”
   “Sure,” said Gabby.  “Anytime you need to know something you can call on me.”
   “See you tomorrow Gabby,” said Jake.
   “Where are you two going?” asked Gabby.
   “We are going to find Booker-T,” said Jake. 
   “Okay,” said Gabby flapping his little wing at them.  “See you two later.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T