Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Just an Old Geek

   “Hi Jake,” said Midge as she hurried up the sidewalk to the porch where Jake was laying in the sun.
   “Hi there Midge,” said Jake as he slowly raised his head.  “Want to join me in this spot here?  The sun feels so good this morning.”
   “Are you going to the park today?” asked Midge.
  “I sure am,” said Jake. “I’m waiting on Booker-T and Gabby. They are supposed to be coming along with us today.”

   “What happened to them this morning?” said Midge impatiently pacing back and forth.  “I am ready to go.”
   “I don’t know,” said Jake.  “Sit down and stop pacing.  Booker-T should have been here an hour ago.  I haven’t seen him yet. Gabby flew by and I sent him to find Booker-T and now I haven’t seen either one.”
   Gabby appeared over the top of the house and landed in the tree branch that hung over the porch. “Hey you guys,” said Gabby.
  “Where is Booker-T?” asked Jake.  “I sent you to find him.  Did you find him?”
   “I found him all right,” said Gabby.  “But I think there is something wrong.”
   “Is Booker-T sick?” asked Midge.  “We need to go see if we can help him Jake.”
   “I don’t think that is the problem,” said Gabby. “Maybe you better come with me to the garden behind Butch’s place.”
   The tree headed out for Butch’s place.  Midge and Jake ran along the sidewalk trying to keep up with Gabby as he flew across the yards.  They rounded the corner and saw Booker-T laying under the rose bush next to the white picket fence that surrounded the garden.
  “Hey Booker-T!” called Jake. “What is wrong with you this morning and what are you doing under that rose bush?  I thought we were going to the park.” 
  “Oh, Jake,” said Booker-T.  “You don’t want to play with me. I’m nothing but a geek”
  “A geek!” said Midge. “What in the world is a geek.  What do you mean?”
  “I’m not good socially. That is me,” said Booker-T.  “I’m just no good socially.  I’m just an old geek.”
   “Who said you weren’t good socially?” asked Gabby. “I don’t understand that.”
   “I don’t understand it either,” said Midge.  “You have lots of friends and I thought you were pretty popular with everyone.”
   “I heard Butch’s friend, Sissy tell him I was a geek,” whinned Booker-T. 
   “And when do you care what anyone says about you?” asked Gabby.  “I didn’t think you worried about that.”
   “I don’t,” said Booker-T as he lowered his head between his paws.
  “Ah, I get it,” said Midge. “You have a crush on Sissy and she doesn’t feel the same.  Well, I wouldn’t worry about what she thinks.  You aren’t a geek Booker-T.  You are a very popular friend.  We all like you just the way you are. And you are no longer homeless. You live in a nice house next door to me.”
   “You like me the way I am?” asked Booker-T.
  “We sure do,” said Jake.
   “You aren’t a geek so stop worrying about it,” said Midge.  “We all think you are a great friend and are great socially.  You are always nice to everyone and one of these days, Sissy will realize that you are a good cat.  Give her some time.”
   “Thank you Midge and all of you,” said Booker-T.
   “That is right Booker-T,” said Gabby.  “She is new here, and doesn’t know you yet.  Give her some time and she will come around.”
   “Now, are we going to go to the park?” asked Jake.  “Or are you going to work on being a geek.”
  “Oh no, I don’t want to be a geek,” said Booker-T.  “I’m ready to go to the park.”
   “Okay, now that it is solved…come on, lets go to the park.” Said Jake.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake and Midge

Jake and Midge
Jake and Midge with Booker-T